Dissassembling Plasted Threaded Centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I should probably just leave the pen alone, but my OCD continues to draw my eye to an imperfection that I noticed after I assembled the pen (and I can easily correct).

I have transfer punches, and can give it a whack, but thought to ask the greater intellect of the IAP for advice.

Any ideas of improving my chances of successfully disassembling a plastic threaded center band with deforming the plastic threaded insert?

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Tony

Maybe you can post a photo of the pen and close up of the problem area. Tell us what kit it is too. There have been some threads here about this and if my memory serves me not that long ago.

If you run your topic title in the google search feature here you will get a few hits that might help.

TonyL

Thank you both. It's a Citizen..no problems with the kit, fit, components. I did search and didn't come-up with anything I did know (which was surprising given my limited knowledge :- ) ). I would love to invent (actually buy) something that pulled parts from a tube rather that push them out. That's what I was hoping to find. I can do with a vice, but it looks like one of those "mouse trap" game things. I will tap and pray. Thanks guys.

Bring back memories: mouse trap board game - Bing images

carlmorrell

I have a trick for disassembling pens when punches won't work.

I use a piece of plywood. Drill a hole about 1/2" from the end. Drill it to the same size as the center band, it's better to have a too small hole, than a too big one. Then cut a slot, I use a band saw from the edge to the hole. Press in the piece, and then clamp it in a vice. If the piece is too hard to hold, wrap it with tape. I use medical compression tape, that is like an ace bandage. Pull, wiggle, swear and get mad at me for suggesting it, then the piece will pull off!

Attaching pic of old pencil I just re-finished. It was a pain to get the centerband off.

Attachments

• clamp.JPG
    clamp.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 129

TonyL

Thank you Carl.

I was able to get it off. I used a small wad of paper towel (ala KenV) and a transfer punch. I not only could not just tap it, I had to whack it hard about 100 times - no exaggeration. I am not recommending the whacking practice, but I was ready to sacrifice the CB after the first 25 taps.

Anyway, I got it done. Thank you.

Top Bottom