Display Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I think this is the correct place for this thread, but I am not sure. If it is not, please poke it wherever is more appropriate.

I have a friend with a decent sized pen collection that wants a display box like the one below. That picture is from PSI, but they only seem to have that specific wood combination.

He wants the same shape in either a single dark wood or two tone in dark wood. There is a UK website (whose name escapes me) that had a picture of one in rosewood and walnut that looked sharp, but they had discontinued it.

Anyone know where I could find such a beast? The more complex solutions are make one or buy that one and stain the maple a darker color.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Attaching the picture would almost certainly help...

Attachments

• PKBOX2T2.jpg
    PKBOX2T2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 167

Fibonacci

That one is from Penn State, but they only sell them in that color combo (at least on the website).

He wants a darker wood.

Fibonacci

He doesn't do anything with tools and I don't have a ball nosed router bit.

He likes the $5 price point, and I am not a good enough friend to buy the bit to make him a box. He is more a coworker than a "friend" per se.

randywa

If I had a nickel for every time I fell for the "it doesn't look that hard" trick, I could buy a truckload of the displays and make him a deal. I think it's like "you can't miss it" when asking for directions, if a guy could ask for directions, not that I would.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

That is why I am not a good enough friend to do it.

It LOOKS easy, until you start looking at the cuts, and the glues, and the pivots, and everything else.

I am pretty sure I could do it if I really wanted to, but it is more than a $5 effort. I can make a $40 pen much faster than I could make one of those boxes.

jthompson1995

I've made a box like that for a single pen before, I'm sure I could make one for two pens. Not really that hard with a router table but definitely not a $5 effort. I'd be willing to make one if he wants (I have the bit, table & plenty of walnut) but it would be closer to $25 plus shipping. I can send photos of the one I made if interested.

Top Bottom