Dismantling a bolt action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I got a little carried away putting one together and busted the bullet front threads. I REALLY want to keep this barrel. Any thoughts on getting this front section out after the bolt side has been inserted?

I tried grabbing and pulling with pliers but the threads broke more.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I think your best option is to disassemble the bolt end first.

Use a long #1 or #0 Philips head screwdriver to remove the screw that holds the lever in place.

Unscrew the lever from the bolt mechanism. If you don't do this, the next step will break the lever. I know this because I read it somewhere here.

Use a 7/32" transfer punch to drive out the bolt end. This fits into the sliding bolt mechanism through the bullet end.

Then use a 21/64" transfer punch to drive out the bullet end.

There might be a different way, but this is one that I used with success. Good luck!

Brian G

Jim, both of your links were to the same post, and neither answered the question of the OP. It took me less time to answer the question than it did to search the forum and compose a message pointing to the search results.

Last edited:

Haynie

No success yet. Tried to knock the bolt end out from the front but was afraid to get medieval on it. I'll get it. It was not for a customer so no rush.

Sawdust1825

I am trying to picture how you broke the threads and the only thing I can think is you had the tip off when assembling the pen. If that is what happened leave the tip on when pressing together. As for disassembly the PSI disassembly pliers are a lifesaver. Well worth their cost. They will grip the blank without damaging it. Combined with the transfer punches you should be able to disassemble almost any pen. I don't recall if I have taken any bolt actions apart or not but I am confident that I could successfully. Just make sure that the inner mechanism is seated against the top of the casing end and give it a rap with a mallet. Good luck.

Top Bottom