? Disk or Belt Sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I am looking at buying one or the other. I have no idea which is better or what I need to be looking for. I hope to make some of those fancy segmented pens I see around here and need to figure out how to make all pieces flat.

So tell me what you all use and why its the best.

Thanks,

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Why not get a unit that has both? The one I have uses a 10" disk and a 6" x 48" belt. No matter what you decide you will need a table that is perpendicular to the belt or disk.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I bought a Harbor Freight combination unit, cause I was not gonna use it much. It broke the other day.

I've only had it about ten years and, for the last two years, we used it about a half hour a day to sand polyresin blanks. So, when it just "up and pooped out":eek::eek:, I went out and invested another $60 in another one,:confused::confused: just like it. If this one lasts only FIVE years, it will cost me a buck a month:eek::eek:----not too shabby!!

But, you can do whatever you like----I hate recommending things!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Dave Turner

I bought this model from Harbor Freight last year on sale for $50 and it's worked well for me. I find the disc sander much easier and quicker to use than a pen mill to square the blank ends. I'm looking forward to using it for segmentation when I get to that stage in my pen making.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
hmmm

I bought a Harbor Freight combination unit, cause I was not gonna use it much. It broke the other day.

I've only had it about ten years and, for the last two years, we used it about a half hour a day to sand polyresin blanks. So, when it just "up and pooped out":eek::eek:, I went out and invested another $60 in another one,:confused::confused: just like it. If this one lasts only FIVE years, it will cost me a buck a month:eek::eek:----not too shabby!!

But, you can do whatever you like----I hate recommending things!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I've had my ($40 or so when I bought it) Delta for over 20 years, I think I bought it around 1985 or so which would make it over 25 years. But, I have not used it anything like 30 minutes a day. More than enough so that it owes me nothing though.

1dweeb

The combo unit is the only way to go. I actually have two and I use them both quite frequently. I use a 1 inch wide belt and a 6 inch wide belt and they both have a disk attachment on each machine. I would never part with either of them.

PenMan1

I like the $99 Ryobi belt / disk combo. Ryobi is not the best name out there, but HD and Ryobi's customer service has been excellent .

Additionally, HD is very convenient in all "56" U.S. States and issues usually end with new "in store" replacement product. HF... That is usually NOT the case here. Sometimes the cheapest price is not the best value.

Respectfully submitted.

Woodlvr

I bought a Craftsman a few years ago for $99 and it has been great. :eek: REALLY IT HAS!!!! It does have a sturdy platform for the disc sander, which is a must. I usually do not recommend Craftsman but I lucked out this time. JMHO YMMV. :biggrin:

sbwertz

I bought this model from Harbor Freight last year on sale for $50 and it's worked well for me. I find the disc sander much easier and quicker to use than a pen mill to square the blank ends. I'm looking forward to using it for segmentation when I get to that stage in my pen making.

That's the one I have too.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've never cared for combo units, although I can see the allure of
saving some money by buying only one machine.
But I find that the combos sacrifice quality on the disc, and I use my
disc more than any other machine in the shop.
Mainly it is the tables that suffer. They either use a corrugated aluminum
type table (not smooth for moving stock on) or they mount it on a
round shaft held with a screw.. begging to come loose just when you
don't want anything to move. I have no confidence in the disc portion.
I've had several, in fact I have two combos now. But I never use the disc,
as I have an ancient cast iron 12" disc that I use all the time. The table
weighs about 10 lbs, locks in on both sides with handwheels and pinned
hinges. Takes two people to move the thing and it's my favorite tool.

fernhills

I have an old AMT combo disc-belt. (9 x 48) Very heavy 1hp 1725 belt driven motor. All cast iron. Table is solid CI. Even the disc is CI. One of the most used tools in the shop.

WHSKYrvr1

I just bought a Porter Cable disk/belt sander from Lowes. It costs 179, but it's about three times heavier than the HF model I replaced. It has good sturdy platforms. Just something to think about.

gt64155

I have always used a pen mill to square the end of the blank, only because I do so when the blank is still square. What is the technique used to square a blank with a sander? Or, does it really mater if the blank is stil square of round? If you use a sander, how do you index the tube so it comes out square on the end? So sort of jig? Sorry for all of the dumb questions but, hey, maybe I'm missing something here with the sander.

Bill

Dave Turner

I added a larger fence to the miter gauge to make it easier to keep the blank square to the disc. I drill on my lathe with the blank held by my chuck's pin jaws, so the hole is parallel with the sides of the blank. If my blank is irregular, I can always slide the blank onto the squaring rod (an unused mandrel rod now that I turn between centers). I glued a wood rod holder onto the miter gauge fence so that the rod is square to the sanding disc.

Attachments

• Sander with fence.jpg
    Sander with fence.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 221
  • Sander with squaring rod.jpg
    Sander with squaring rod.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 198

clapiana

I have a cast iron delta 12" disk sander with dust collection it is a work horse

Rockler has them on sale now and then

I simply clamped a 1"x6" piece of wood at 90 deg to the disk and hold it in place sq with a bessey clamp simple and effective

I sand a blank until I hear it barley hitting the brass and then i do a few twists with a pen mill This works really well and it's quick

You will use a disk sander a lot for all kinds of tasks

The heavy cast iron combo units with a 12" disk will run you $1200 that is a lot for pens the less expensive combos will be at the expense of the motor on the disk sander so keep that in mind

Blessings
Craig

Top Bottom