disgusted!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

well I waited patiently on my order from penn state and it arrived today,,2 of the pens were Gatsby and I have made these before turned out great,,both on these 2 pens the blank I was using cracked,,both pens,,i first thought I was getting too thin,,so I used my calibers to measure the thickness and both blanks had plenty,,and you would have thought if they were going to crack it would have been on the ends but it was up in the body of the blank,,im thinking that maybe I got ahold of a bad blank,,is this possible,,,i know im not a pro like you guys,,but I have made these pens before and never had a problem,,the pen blank was the one called Lava Bright Classic Deep Purple and White from penn state,,lol,,kinda knocks the wind outta your sails when things like this happens,,,

Attachments

• busted pen blank 003.jpg
    busted pen blank 003.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 406
  • busted pen blank 001.jpg
    busted pen blank 001.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 379
  • busted pen blank 002.jpg
    busted pen blank 002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 408
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sorry about your misfortune with that nice blank. Not that it particularly matters, but did it crack when you were pressing in the nib end or the cap end? Did it require more effort than usual to press the parts into the tube?

A few things that I always try to check before assembly:
Make sure the tube is round & not deformed.
Make sure there is no glue or residue inside the tube.

If everything else looks good, you might use a caliper to check the diameter of the pen parts vs the inside diameter of the tubes. Parts & tube dimensions can vary slightly from one to another.

Terredax

Banned
It looks like it got hot and expanded. Just my opinion, but it can get hot real quick and expansion and contraction will cause cracks. The brass will expand as well.

Last edited:

magpens

Give PSI Customer Service a call ... they will probably replace the faulty blanks.

Woodguy95

I agree with those of you that say that the blank probably cracked at the drilling process. It also did happen to me and I've found a way to help prevent it . It may sound crazy but I use the no name cooking spray because it gets between an oil an a paste and I just spray it in the blank while drilling. Then I soak it in alcohol to get the oil off. I've gotten great result with that thecnique.

Top Bottom