Disc Sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GPG311

Does anyone have any experience with the Proxxon disc sanders. They're small and I'm thinking about getting one for blank squaring but I'm not able to find any reviews. My main concern is the ability to accurately set the table to the disc. Some cheaper machines I've had are just not precision equipment and I don't want to spend the money if Proxxons can't be adjusted precisely.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl..._trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2#ht_2101wt_1139

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kruzzer

proxxon makes a decent product line... but it seems a little pricey for a disk sander.
making up an acurate sanding jig would work with just about any disc sander...

johnnycnc

Jerry, Rich in his reply above makes a great point about sanding jigs.

I'd like to throw my 2¢ in on your metion of squaring blanks;
just remember that the ends need to be square to the inside of the tube.
The drill can walk, go off straight and you glue the tube in. Square the ends to the outside of the blank, and it's off to the tube. You need to reference the i.d. of the tube.
So considering you likely need a jig anyway, you might think about a cheaper sander if that's all you want it for.
I have a well abused Crapsman disc sander and just get the table squared up with a good steel machinist square before I drop my jig on the table.

Use of disk sander for squaring blanks

Dear All

I use a proxxon disk sander and find it very accurate and reliable just make sure that the disk is clean (I use a disk cleaner all the time). The proxxon is not the cheapest but is vibration free and has variable speed and gives a fantastic finish. But for squaring the blanks read the following.

When I first started making pens I had all sorts of problems one of which was squaring the ends properly without damaging the blanks and getting a good clean finish. I tried making various jigs to use on a disk sander but a minute misallignment gave less than satisfactory results.

So I started thinking about the prodedure and came up with the startling revelation that a BARREL TRIMMER is best used to TRIM the BARREL.

So after glueing I use a disk sander to roughly true the pen blank by eye until the brass tube just starts to show thru - I can tell when I am there because there is a slight change of noise from the sander.

I then use two different posi screwdrivers to remove excess glue then a tool made from an old mandrel to clean the inside of the tubes. By this stage the inside of the tube is clean and the ends fairly square.

I then use a barrel trimmer in an electric drill which I rest on the bench to trim the barrel. So I am only using the barrel trimmer for a very short period to remove small amounts of materiel as long as I have got a complete "circle" I am happy. This means the trimmer lasts a lot longer and does not get clogged with glue etc.

I generally trim blanks for 10 pens at a time and the whole procedure takes me about 15 mins. But I am left with perfectly squared blanks every time.

This is the way I do it and it works for me.

Sean

www.aberfanturning.co.uk

Top Bottom