Disc sander?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Which size disc sander do you use? I am looking for a sander for my shop and think I am going to start out with a disc sander. I was thinking of the Jet 12" but came across some 20" disc sanders. Would a 20" disc sander be overkill for woodworking? Does anyone have a 20" sander?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Which size disc sander do you use? I am looking for a sander for my shop and think I am going to start out with a disc sander. I was thinking of the Jet 12" but came across some 20" disc sanders. Would a 20" disc sander be overkill for woodworking? Does anyone have a 20" sander?
20" is probably overkill if you're doing small stuff like pens. I have the Rikon 10" disk 6"x48" belt combo and I love it. Great price and the thing has been a workhorse for me. Got it at WC.

refueler1

20" is probably overkill if you're doing small stuff like pens. I have the Rikon 10" disk 6"x48" belt combo and I love it. Great price and the thing has been a workhorse for me. Got it at WC.

I think I am going to forget about the 20" sander, to much of a task at changing grits. What do you think about an oscillating edge sander?

GouletPens

I think I am going to forget about the 20" sander, to much of a task at changing grits. What do you think about an oscillating edge sander?
What is your goal with this device? Are you doing flatwork or turnings? Oscillating edge sanders are great for flatwork but impractical for turnings.

Druid

I'm with Brian on this one, we both have the same Rikon belt/disk sander. It's not cheap but its affordable and a well built commercial grade product. If your like me, I have two disks, one Byrnes (small segmented and ornamental work) and the other is the Rikon. I promise you won't regret making the investment and find you'll get more versatility with the Rikon.

GouletPens

I'm with Brian on this one, we both have the same Rikon belt/disk sander. It's not cheap but its affordable and a well built commercial grade product. If your like me, I have two disks, one Byrnes (small segmented and ornamental work) and the other is the Rikon. I promise you won't regret making the investment and find you'll get more versatility with the Rikon.
Not to mention it's less than half the price of a comparable Jet model. I only had one problem with the support arm breaking on my disc table, I called them, and they shipped it right out to me, no charge. They support their stuff.

mickr

I have a delta 12' disc..it's ok..doesn't have an auto disc stop..thing will run ten minutes unless I push the lever down & it sounds horrible doing so...I also have a craftsman 6x48 disc/belt it's ok...neither would I write home to mom about

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Since I am doing mostly pens, I put a round piece of plywood on a faceplate and stuck a disc to it. It works great for small jobs and is easier to get at than my sander.

Top Bottom