Disassembly tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Don't know how they suggest using it, but have found that a slightly undersized drill bit inserted in the tube and tapped with a rubber mallet, while holding the tube with a rubber cap snaffler, works well. The top cap/finial can be removed in the same manner. The nibb can be removed with a small (No. 7) steel knitting needle inserted from the tip end, and using the hook on the needle to hold the tip to pull it out. Learned that holding the needle in a vice makes for better purchase. A rod of the same diameter of the internal nibb end should also work...but it was inside and difficult to measure. I needed to do all this because I had not yet learned to read directions!

randyrls

I have 2 pens where I pushed the transmissions in too deeply. I have a disassembly kit but i'm danged if I know how to use it. Anyone have a picture tutorial on the proper way to use this tool?

Thanks,
Terry

The technique with the disassembly kit works well, but a "transfer punch" set works wonders and will work with most pens. To remove or just retract the transmission, drill a hole in a scrap piece of wood or acrylic that is just a sliding fit on the transmission. Clamp the blank in a vise, insert the transmission and put a transfer punch into the tube. Tap gently but repeatedly. Many light blows will do the job better than one smashing hit

Harbor Freight
28 Piece Transfer Punch Set [FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 3577-2VGA[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] $7.99[/FONT]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have 2 pens where I pushed the transmissions in too deeply. I have a disassembly kit but i'm danged if I know how to use it. Anyone have a picture tutorial on the proper way to use this tool?

Thanks,
Terry

Terry,

Send me an email address and I will send you a pdf of the simple 7mm disassembly tool I made. It does not use hard force on the transmission so there is no danger of damaging the transmission.

Top Bottom