Disassembly Tip - Use Transfer Punches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Many people recommend using pin punches as disassembly tools, but I have found that transfer punches work much better. They come in a set from 3/32" to 1/2" in 1/64" increments. A transfer set has a much better chance of matching the size you need.

Hope this helps......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

This is pretty common knowledge here, but its always good to bring up old tips for the newer set. A set of transfer punches are go on sale at Harbour Freight regularly and are a great buy.

badger

I've heard about the what, but not about the how. Just what do you do to get them apart without damage? I can see sliding in the exact size of the ID of the tube, but what next? Hammer? Is the wood saved? or do you have to scrap some parts to get them apart...

badger

randyrls

Originally posted by badger

I've heard about the what, but not about the how. Just what do you do to get them apart without damage? I can see sliding in the exact size of the ID of the tube, but what next? Hammer? Is the wood saved? or do you have to scrap some parts to get them apart...

badger

Usually you can disassemble the pen without damaging either the tube of the fitting. Grip the tube in your hand and use gentle repeated blows to knock out the fittings. You want to use many gentle hits rather than one massive blow. The finials are sometimes a problem because some are two part. I have drilled a center hole in one end of the punch to avoid knocking out the "top cap" insert on Barons and Cigar pens.

Hope this helps....

Picky pen turner and expert pen disassembler! :(

fernhills

Hi, i think i would be lost with out my set of transfer punch tools, i can take apart almost any pen and change the wood or improve the finish. I use a HF set, $7.99. Carl

badger

Usually you can disassemble the pen without damaging either the tube of the fitting. Grip the tube in your hand and use gentle repeated blows to knock out the fittings. You want to use many gentle hits rather than one massive blow. The finials are sometimes a problem because some are two part. I have drilled a center hole in one end of the punch to avoid knocking out the "top cap" insert on Barons and Cigar pens.

Hope this helps....

Picky pen turner and expert pen disassembler! :(

Thank you, that is a great description.

I need to put together a HF order soon.

badger

Firefyter-emt

FYI... I want to have two sets. One with the nibs ground off as "punches" and one as a set of transfer punches. I use the "back end" of the punches more often than the proper "nib end". Hitting the nib can damage them so if a set had all the nibs ground off, it would work the best for a pen. I do know that you can knock the "snowflake" off the clip end of a Jr. Statesman if that nib is facing inside the pen. [:I]

Top Bottom