Disassembly of "Sculpted" pen from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Has anyone figured out how to disassemble a sculpted pen from PSI's lineup and keep the components usable? The trim ring is glued to the brass tube and the way the upper barrel is pressed together, you can't get the transmission out to get a punch in there an pop the cap/clip assembly.

I really hate to throw away a $12 kit because of a cracked blank and 2 quality control/assembly issues that I've since found a way to resolve.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I was wondering the same thing as I have a Big Ben Rollerball that needs some work, and the centerband mounts in the same way.

ETA:

I didn't glue mine in place. It pressed in tight enough, and if it needed help I'd use loc-tite.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Hrmm.

I wish the center band was the only issue. I can't figure out how to get the transmission out so I can get the clip/cap out which is where the problem needs to be fixed.

I had to CA the center band in place because the fit to the tube wasn't tight enough. I don't know if I nicked it too much with the parting tool or not. Of the 4 of these kits we've built, they all have issues with the cap/clip assembly or overall fit. One the tip side just falls in and out of the tube, one this happens on the coupling and 3 of 4 have the clip/cap issue where they don't press together completely leaving the clip loose. Not happy with this kit but it does look good when finished and I don't want to destroy the parts trying to fix them.

Last edited:

ghostrider

Hrmm.

I wish the center band was the only issue. I can't figure out how to get the transmission out so I can get the clip/cap out which is where the problem needs to be fixed.

I had to CA the center band in place because the fit to the tube wasn't tight enough. I don't know if I nicked it too much with the parting tool or not. Of the 4 of these kits we've built, they all have issues with the cap/clip assembly or overall fit. One the tip side just falls in and out of the tube, one this happens on the coupling and 3 of 4 have the clip/cap issue where they don't press together completely leaving the clip loose. Not happy with this kit but it does look good when finished and I don't want to destroy the parts trying to fix them.
Maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the online instructions, it says that the transmission just screws into place like a Cigar.:confused:

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKSC-PENxx_ins.pdf

Pens By Scott

One thought, if you have a dremel, you could essentially grind the brass tube and the centerband. This would get that back.

If the blank is lost, could you not try and heat up the cap end to loosen the transmission, be careful to not melt the plastic in the transmission, or the black enamel off the cap.

Just my thoughts.

JRay8

i just made a few of them. i really like the look of the kit but its crap to assemble. you have to glue the parts to the tube and the pen press damages the design on the top of the cap because its too soft. i may not make anymore because i dont want to have to service them.

Top Bottom