Disassembly Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I have a Sierra, with a damaged finish. What is the safest way to disassemble this pen without damaging the cap or transmission?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
First try a small hammer; if that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer! :biggrin:

Tim,
I am not sure if I understand it completely as it is written above, but the Sierra cap comes off with a twist and the transmission stays on the nib end. I use a HF punch to tap the cap/clip off. I have done this quite a few times for refinishing or retouching a Sierra blank. I use some of the rubber webbing mat that is used to hold sanding pieces or holding small boards for routing - these matts make great grips for holding the blank while tapping the end off with the punch.

Last edited:

hewunch

Tim,
I am not sure if I understand it completely as it is written above, but the Sierra cap comes off with a twist and the transmission stays on the nib end. I use a HF punch to tap the cap/clip off. I have done this quite a few times for refinishing or retouching a Sierra blank. I use some of the rubber webbing mat that is used to hold sanding pieces or holding small boards for routing - these matts make great grips for holding the blank while tapping the end off with the punch.

That is what I do too.

THarvey

Tim,

The nib comes off with a twist. The transmission stays with the cap and blank. This is actually a Wall Street II. Would that make a difference?

The transmission is press fitted in the cap/clip assembly, which is press fitted in the tube.

My concern is I do not want to damage the threads where the nib attaches.

jedgerton

Use a transfer punch that is just small enough to fit into the tube (i.e. slightly smaller than the tube's ID). I've done this many times and the transmission doesn't get damaged.

John

Last edited:

Emaxx3

Hi Tim,

Screw the nib back on and pull it out of the completed pen... the transmission will come out with the nib. Then HF transfer punch to knock out the clip end.

JP

leehljp

Member Liaison
Tim,

Normally on "pen" sierras the transmission pulls out because it is screwed into the nib end. Hold the nib end with the left hand and with the right hand twist the blank end clockwise while pulling away from the nib end.

On a rare but "it does happen occasion" - this does not work as the transmission is jammed into the cap end. I have had about 2 out of about 300 or so.

Here is a link if this is the problem:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7950&highlight=Sierra+problems

Also, if you are using a "click" - I am not sure of those as I haven't purchased any of them yet.

jkeithrussell

Another general disassembly trick that I've learned is to put a piece of folded up paper towel under the clip so that the clip doesn't dig into the finish on its way out.

Top Bottom