Disassembly on Gentlemen Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PennedDown

Greetings all!
First time to post, so be gentle...:)
Here's what happens when you drive an hour into work (in heavy traffic), work 9-10 hours, drive back to the house (in heavier traffic), grab a bite, and want to spend a little quality time in the shop. I finished turning a Gentlemen Jr. pen in turquoise acrylic, finished it out (absolutely gorgeous if I might add :biggrin:), and apparently the day made my mind wander. On the last step as I just started pressing the end cap in I realized that the trim ring was in the opposite direction!!! I don't have it pressed in all the way, so I went to my 7mm and cigar pen disassembly rods to tap it back out but they are too small.
You folks have any ideas or should I go to the Sears and try and find a punch that size. I know PSI has the punch kit, but that doesn't help me quickly since I have someone waiting on this for Father's Day.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skywizzard

Dale, if a Harbor Freight is nearby, pick up a set of transfer punches. Exactly the same as PSI's kit and a lot less expensive.

PennedDown

Yep, that's where I'm headed here in a minute. Harbor Freight is 24 miles from me and didn't even think about that. Man I need to find a way to retire!
Thanks for all your help!

Russianwolf

piece of advice on disassembling the lower (pretty sure that's the parts you are talking about.

To make sure that I don't mess up the finish, I drill a hole in a scrap board just large enough for the threads to fit inside (with no friction). With the board raised off the workbench and the part to be removed in the hole, put the punch down into the end (I leave the finial cap in place) and one quick whack and it's out.

By doing this, all the pressure is going onto the trim ring evenly. It won't bend or harm the finish on the part and you don't risk messing up the finish on the body (or messing up your hand trying to hold onto the critter)

I still haven't figured out how to get the centerbands off without messing up the finish, but I don't have to disassemble that often either.

jkeithrussell

Another piece of disassembly advice: anytime you are knocking off the cap/clip, slide some tissue or a paper towel under the clip so that it doesn't gouge the wood on the way out.

Another piece of disassembly advice: when you are holding the barrel with your left hand and tapping the transfer punch with a hammer in your right hand, make you hit the transfer punch with the hammer instead of the side of your left hand.

PennedDown

Thanks for all the tips! I didn't get the chance to do the Harbor Frieght run, but slid a snug fitting dowel into the tube...2-3 mild taps and she came out! Turned another out of mocha chip acrylic last night and you can bet I payed attention to the trim ring orientation this time. I'll post some pictures of these and others soon.
Dale

Top Bottom