Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Is there a better way to disassemble the barrel end of a Jr. Gent (Postable) than to try and get a punch through the one end to knock out the other?

I really hate using the "punch" method since I always have a hard time with it, and usually end up giving up.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Zach,

Are you using the Harbor Freight transfer punch set? I resisted buying a set for a long time, and finally did. It makes all the difference in the world to have a selection of punches that actually fit you needs. Unscrew the postable tip, and find a punch that barely fits through the larger turned end of the tube. Tap out the small end, and then choose the next larger punch and tap out the other end. You don't have to be a Barry Bonds with the punches, more of a Derrick Jeter swing will do it.

Mr Vic

I concur with the harbour freight punch set. Additionally I use a yellow plastic mallet I use on leather punches....Works better then a metal hammer.

Wheaties

Alright, I guess I'll do that. I do have the harbor freight punches. I just feel like i can't hold onto it, and then I worry about damaging the finish if I hold on too hard, then I end up never getting it to budge and when I have got it in the past, I have damaged the finish. (Yes that is a run on sentence).

But I'll give it a go tomorrow. I just need to get the postable end off and re-align the clip with the nib when the cap is posted. Even with trying hard not to screw it up, I did.

ldb2000

Zach , try using some masking tape wrapped around the tube as a grip and protection for the finish , use enough to give you a good grip .
Some also use rubberbands to grip the barrel , wrap a bunch of them around the barrel until you have enough thickness to get a grip .
The masking tape has always worked well for me though .

Wheaties

Thanks for the suggestions.

A light bulb, out of nowhere, came on and I just turned the clip to line up correctly, then re-pressed it together to ensure it wouldn't slide again. That was way easier than taking the whole thing apart!

But I will defiantly remember these ideas for next time I do need to take one apart.

Thanks!

DurocShark

A rubber jar opener grip (the sheet of rubber you get for free from your local politicians) holds it well for me. And I use my home made wooden mallet to strike. Much easier on the wrists as it absorbs much of the impact, and no risk of damage to the pen.

dankc908

Zach --

Don't be afraid to HIT the end of the punch. When I first disassembled a pen I was afraid of messing up the blank. Finally I had gotten disgusted with one pen and I really hit the punch and, voila, it worked like a charm!

Dan

johncrane

Also don't grip the clip too hard it will mark the finish,put some tape under the ball of the clip,then i use a center punch grip the pen with the rubber grip mat, then tap the center punch onto a small block of steel.

fernhills

I use a rubber glove, place the pen in and around glove. Rap it and the part falls into glove, not skipping across shop floor causing the rest of your shop time looking for it or scratching it up. Carl

Top Bottom