Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peninhandrjg

HI All,
well, I Knew this day would come eventualy. I"ve just started turning and until now I never worried about taking a pen apart to salvage the barrel. As the work has improved I'd rather not waste this one to my "education". Simple question; how do you get the things apart?!
Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Guessing becasue you re new it's a slim line.
Basically on a slimline you reverse the process.
i/8th rod through the transmission to knock out the nib.
Take off your rings while you hold the pen even if you wrap the barrel in a piece of rubber.
DAMHIKT
After the nib is out 1/4" rod through the nib end to press out the transmission.
If your rod does no tmeet hte nib, continue to press the tranny in until it does if a longer rod is not available.
Trasnfer punches can be bought at HF that will do the job a lot cheaper than the dissassembly kits that are so overly priced.
You can get 1/8th inch rod at home centers or real hardware stores.
I wouldn't use threaded rod.
I use my mandrel on the lathe but many frown upon this method.frea of bending the mandrel.
I haven't had any problems your mileage may vary.
Drill a hole in a block of wood that will fir over the tranny but will seat against the barrel.
bring up the tail stock, lock it down, crank.
The tranny will fall into the blaock of wood.
Same thing can be done in a drill press.
Pressing advised rather thqn whacking it out to save the tranny.
Top clip stud, hold like teh lower one and whack it out.

dougle40

I use the same method as Eagle and made my own tools the same way except that I do use a hammer for all of the process . The block of wood that I used was made from Pine so as to not damage the barrel in case I need to re-use it for whatever reason . When I don't need the barrel I just put the blank back on the mandrel and turn all the wood off the brass then use a wire wheel (brass) in my hand drill to remove the glue from the brass tube while it's turning on the lathe . So far I haven't had any problems doing it this way but Eagles idea for removing the transmission is a much better way to do it and prevent possible damage to it .

its_virgil

Eaglesc's instructions are very informative and work nicely, but here is another method plus some other good penturning infor for a newbie.

http://www.stinggroup.addr.com/projects/011401/pagesindex.html

Questions about pen kits should mention which kit. Each kit is a little different in disassembly and each have their own peculuarities and require different answers. I'm not trying to squelch questions..heck I have some myself...just trying to expedite solutions and answers.

do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Peninhandrjg
<br />HI All,
well, I Knew this day would come eventualy. I"ve just started turning and until now I never worried about taking a pen apart to salvage the barrel. As the work has improved I'd rather not waste this one to my "education". Simple question; how do you get the things apart?!
Randy

wee willie

For the slimlines I use a 1/8th welding rod with the flux removed and lightly sanded and a hammer to knock out the nib and for the transmission an old robertson screwdriver with the square end ground to fit inside the transmission and use it on the drill press to press it out. You can also knock out the cap and clip with a hammer and the screwdriver. Rubber gloves or a piece of the nonslip matting for routers works great.

G

Wee Willie-
I'm not sure many member down here know what a Robertson svcrewdriver is.
I was shown the geniousness,simplicity and learned the story behind them while I was working with a friend on his boat while living in Key West.He built it in Canada.

G

Virgil-
I remembered reading that long ago and never tried it.
I guess it's because I rarely take any kits to the shop.
I do all my assemblies in the house.
(Still can't find one of my pen mills in the shop)
It's when I put them togeter I find out about the goof-up.
I do have a jig for my press that mimics the mandrel method on the lathe.
I'll have to amke a little jig like the one pictured and sneak it in hte house.

Brent

I find that transfer punches as mention above from harbor freight are a very good investment at a very low cost. you get 3/32" though 1/2" for $7.99 there are 28 peices in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom