Disassembling a Stylus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbarton22

As we know, the first generation stylus has a fixed tip. As some of my customers and, obviously, the manufacturers found out, those tips wear, rip, and tear.

I have a really good customer and also a super patron (my mom) who both need their stylus repaired. I want to replace the tips with the type that you can screw in a replacement if it gets worn.

Any ideas on how to grip the shaft of the stylus while I yank off the tip without damaging the finish? I know this has to be a fairly standard procedure, I just have never had to disassemble a completed piece before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I use a transfer punch and knock the stylus out from the back side. As for holding the pen while doing that, I use a section of the "sticky" rubber drawer liner material. Something like this: Duck 12" x 10' Select Shelf Liner, Lichen: Household Essentials : Walmart.com
I use enough to wrap around the pen and hold it tightly with one hand and use a small hammer with the transfer punch to knock out the old stylus.

Good luck!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Scott: If you happen not to find a safe way to extract the tip, how about forfeiting about 3/16" length (the part inserted in the end of the tube) and part off the current tip, press the base for the second and screw in the tip? 'unless, of course, pattern, design, or some other issue precludes doing this' Just a thought for a possible option!:confused: :confused:

sbarton22

I use a transfer punch and knock the stylus out from the back side. As for holding the pen while doing that, I use a section of the "sticky" rubber drawer liner material. Something like this: Duck 12" x 10' Select Shelf Liner, Lichen: Household Essentials : Walmart.com
I use enough to wrap around the pen and hold it tightly with one hand and use a small hammer with the transfer punch to knock out the old stylus.

Good luck!

Ok, I like where this is going. However, both ends are assembled. I can't get to the backside without disassembling the clip side, which presents the same holding the piece problem.

But, I what you suggest to wrap the stylus should work as the trick I am looking for. I'll give that a shot.

sbarton22

Scott: If you happen not to find a safe way to extract the tip, how about forfeiting about 3/16" length (the part inserted in the end of the tube) and part off the current tip, press the base for the second and screw in the tip? 'unless, of course, pattern, design, or some other issue precludes doing this' Just a thought for a possible option!:confused: :confused:

Actually, I am considering taking the foredom to the tip once I figured out how to hold it. I could butcher the old tip for all I care. I do like the "security" your idea gives me that I can always just trim a touch off the barrel if something goes awry. Great foresight!

Boz

Since you are going to trash the stylus tip run a punch rod that fits through the other end and drive the styes tip off. It may deform the tip but who cares. If I have a stubborn one like the pen I disassembled this morning i get down on my hands and knees on the cellar floor grip the blank and pound the punch onto the concrete floor. Couple of good whacks and the job is done. Now getting back up at my age is the next trick.

mick

Scott if you can't grip the stylus enough to yank the tip off, my suggestion would be to take a small cutting wheel on a dremel, cut the tip off, drill a hole and use your smallest transfer punch to knock the finial out. Then you can knock the tip this has worked for me.

MarkD

Scott if you can't grip the stylus enough to yank the tip off, my suggestion would be to take a small cutting wheel on a dremel, cut the tip off, drill a hole and use your smallest transfer punch to knock the finial out. Then you can knock the tip this has worked for me.

This sounds like the best solution if you don't have access to either end of the pen.

Mr Vic

The one I replaced, for the wife, had an ultra small screw in the rubber piece that you coud screw out once the tip was torn off. Then you can drill out the insert.

Also a +1 on the soft grip pliers for holding while drilling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom