Disassembling a Jr Gent?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Has anyone tried disassembling the lower barrel on a Jr Gent II? I want to put the barrel back on the lathe to fix a nick but can't figure out how to get the couplers off the barrel. They seem to be the same size so my HF punch set isn't helping me (or more likely, I haven't figured out the right way to use it). I'd rather not wreck the couplers by pulling them off with pliers.

Anyone got ideas?

Yrs in bafflement Eileen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eileen,

Put a punch in that is about 1/32 smaller than the hole clearance, then angle it to hit one of the couplers. Rap, then do the same 180 degrees away from the point you just hit and rap again. Keep alternating sides, change 90 degrees instead of 180 from time to time. DON'T HIT HARD!!! Patience will work. The SECOND one is MUCH easier!!!!

Good luck and good rapping!!! (Don't you feel "hip"??)

reed43

Use the little plugs that came with the kits to help remove the couplers. Just thread them in and you can use a punch that will just fit in the tube Reed

Tea Clipper

Not that I would have any first hand knowledge of this...[}:)] but I concur with Ed's assessment that using a smaller rod at an angle to tap the coupler will result in its' removal.

Ron Mc

Eileen,
I believe the plugs only came with the JG1 kits.
If you need some let me know and you'll be able to take apart the lower barrel very easily.[:D]

Dario

Remove/un-screw the nib end (as you would when replacing the refill).
Remove the cap portion by using the biggest rod that will fit the lower barrel hole (where you removed the nib). No need to angle the rod.
Remove the lower end last.

I am assuming you have the transfer punch set from HF (or similar).

emackrell

Thanks to all for the help! I got the pen apart last night, fixed and reassembled. Not necessarily a pretty operation but it worked.
Ron, I'll take you up on your offer of the little plugs, PM sent. Thanks.

cheers Eileen [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Didn't think of the plugs, but it IS a good answer.

Don't hit too hard, tho', those threads were never meant to be "shock resistant"!

Glad you were successful![:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom