disassembling a Baron - easy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I had a couple barons that I didn't like the fit on very much, so I went searching here for a disassembly method after ruining one coupler.

I found Fangar's post in a thread on the subject

There is really a simple way that has worked for me in the past. I remove the top finial and clip from the top cap. Then remove the nib portion of the lowerbarrel as well as the spring (if a rollerball). I have a tool that I made out of thin wire with a hook that will extract the spring nicely. So now you have a hollow closed end lower barrel (No refill) and the top cap with the top finial and clip removed. Screw the cap onto the lower barrel. Insert a punch rod down the assembly through the top cap and into the lower closed body. While holing the cap and the centerband section in place with the meaty portion of your hand (Or paw for some of you), strike the punch rod with a mallet or hammer. It will work it's way out with a few good hits. The threads seem to remain in good shape as the contact points inside the cap piece and body have quite a few contact points. I have used this techniqe two times in the past, once on aluminum and once on wood with the desired results.

Let us know how you fair!

Cheers,

Fangar

So i went back to the shop and started working ont he other end of the one I messed up. let's just say that my hands much be too weak or something cause all I got was a blister.

Then I had a thought. (don't make fun, I do use the pea occasionally. At least when it's not drowning in 20 year old Scotch) So I measured the shoulder on the trim ring and found a drill bit slightly larger, 25/64ths and drilled a hole in a 6/4 scrap board I had laying around.

Now, I simply put the end cap in the pen , like Fangar suggested, put the capped end in the hole, and use the drill rod with 1 whack. Since I can really hit it good without knocking it out of my hand, theres no chance for the trim ring to get damaged. remove the end cap and switch to the other end and 1 more whack. Lower barrel is all apart and I get no blisters, and it take all of 30 seconds.

The upper barrel is still done in the hand. Remove the finial first with a drill rod running up through the centerband. Then the harder part of removing the centerband with a larger drill rod.

Let me know if anyone wants pics of the set-up I made.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I had a couple barons that I didn't like the fit on very much, so I went searching here for a disassembly method after ruining one coupler.

Mike; A transfer punch set like that at Harbor Freight makes a good general purpose disassembly tool, and can be used for other things as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

When punching out the finial cap of many pens, there is a finial cap on the end of the finial. I drill out a hollow on the punch so that it only pushes against the finial, and not the finial cap. The Baron is a good example of this.

nava1uni

I have made similar jigs for pens disassembly. I have one for each different type of kit. I also hold the pen body in my hand using either shelf liner that is a foam type or one of those rubber jar openers. This stops the pen from moving and I also use a mallet rather then a hammer. The transfer set has every size that you will need and you don't have to ruin a drill bit.

Pen Joe

Mike, thanks for the tips and I would like a picture just getting into pen turning bet there are going to be some mistakes, thanks in Advance.

randyrls

Mike, thanks for the tips and I would like a picture just getting into pen turning bet there are going to be some mistakes, thanks in Advance.

The link I posted back then didn't work, but this one does.
https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

It is easy to use. Hold the blank in one hand and insert the transfer punch and knock out the far fitting with many gentle taps. For the nib end of a slim line, you need to use a 1/8" punch. Insert through the hole in the center of the transmission and into the nib. Knock the nib out. Then knock out the transmission with a larger punch.

If I press a transmission in too far this is an easy way to adjust the transmission without removing the nib.

Last edited:
Top Bottom