disassemble flat top berea kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

anyone have any suggestions on how to dissable a Flat Top American from Bereau. Just put it together and for some reason the tip of the ink refill sticks out every so little. I am thinking its something in the top part.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

It wont retract all the way, it just barley sticks out. I can disassemble the bottom section no problem. I just dont know how to pull apart the top. I have made a few of these pens with no problems. Not sure what happened. I just measured the top blank and its correct.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You may not have to dissemble it just yet.
First thing is to measure the distance of the bottom section from just underneath the gold ring to the end of the nib.
It should measure about 3&1/8 inches.( I have been known to think I had milled the blank and either forgot to do one end or what seemed to be the brass was just an optical illusion.
If that is the case then the inside of the nib may have a bur in it,
Unscrew the transmission remove the refill and find a small needle file to clear the obsruction.
If it still doesn't work it may be there is something in the top tube restricting the transmission from turning.
The fix for this is mentioned last because the removal of the top components are a little more difficult.
One last thought.
A picture would be helpful if the following is the culprit.
Is the top section of the pen barrel straight and "flush"
With the gold trim ring so as you turn the pen to extend the barrel it moves freely?

airrat

the pen moves freely, I dont feel anything binding. I will measure the bottom section when I get another break here at work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The bottom section dimension is important. I have been known to mill off too much brass, resulting in the pen tip showing.

If this is the case, you need to add an oops ring, either beneath the centerband or above the pen tip. Neither is easy, above pen tip is probably preferred. May need to CA tip back in after spacer is added (not enough brass tube to "grab").

Good luck, hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom