Disassemble a click pen -- Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

optical01

I am making a Compson click pen from Penn State Industries for a birthday and I managed to put the plastic click mechanism in backwords. Then I went ahead and assembled both ends. I do not have a punch set or the time to wait for one. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to get one end of the pen off so that I can fix the click mechanism. I don't mind ruining the plastic mechanism itself as I have more, but I would prefer not to marr the parts or the blank. I was talking this morning with a woodworking friend and he suggesting trying to put a nut on the threaded end and twist it off.

Thanks. Shawn

gt_pen.png

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Might be able to use a small, old (as in you dont want it anymore) drill bit to knock out the clip end. Put the shank end into the pen and tap on the bit end to try to free the clip holder.

monark88

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but have you tried a small dia. drift or do you have the set ofpunches from PSI and other suppliers?
A handy set of tools to have.

russ

desertrat

Drill a hole through a thin body washer that will just fit over the threads. Place the washer on the pen and then screw the bottom half on. Hold the pen by the clip end and then tap the washer downward with a non maring hammer, I use a raw-hide hammer. This is how I do it.
Good Luck

John H

optical01

Might be able to use a small, old (as in you dont want it anymore) drill bit to knock out the clip end. Put the shank end into the pen and tap on the bit end to try to free the clip holder.

I thought about doing this and I do have a bit I don't mind sacrificing - but I am confused about how this will work. If the opening of both ends of the pen are the same size wouldn't the bit just go through the hole in the other end?

Also, I wonder if I can force the plastic out and force a new one back in. That might be the easist route to go. Plastic is malleable....

optical01

Drill a hole through a thin body washer that will just fit over the threads. Place the washer on the pen and then screw the bottom half on. Hold the pen by the clip end and then tap the washer downward with a non maring hammer, I use a raw-hide hammer. This is how I do it.
Good Luck

John H

That was a great suggestion and I will definitely try that (and get a raw-hide hammer).

Top Bottom