Disappointed in Manhattan kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I have crossed the Rockler's Manhattan kits off my list. (No reflection on Rockler they have always given me good service otherwise. ) I only have purchased a few so it may not be representative, but I have had almost a 100 percent failure rate. I got them thinking they would be a less expensive option in the Sierra style. I experienced transmission looseness and jamming and noise. (None of which I have experienced with other branded kits of this style .) Yesterday passed the limit, just when someone said, "This is a beautiful pen, I want one like that." The clip broke off in their hand. Note a brief awkward pause followed. I am headed back to the Tiawanese made versions. Sometimes saving a few bucks up front is a loss later.

Just my experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eldermike

Last summer I purchased 10 of these kits from Rockler and was totally disappointed. Had major trouble with the fit of the transmission in the barrel making it nearly impossible to change the ink cartridge. Suspect the parts were not precisely machined to the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I designed and used to sell Le Roi and Le Roi long body kits. And although I no longer sell the kits I still make some pens and I still prefer them as a low cost alternative to any similar kits. They are finial operated rather than bbl though. I am particularly partial to the long body version which show of the blank material much better (in my opinion) than the standard.

JoeyPerot

I have not at all been impressed with either the Rockler Manhattan or Gatsby kits. The Gatsby kits are PSI I believe.

Eldermike

I have turned more than a few of the Le Roi pen kits. Love this kit. I must have caught them as a close out as they were pretty inexpensive with the regularly supplied ink refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom