Dip Pen Construction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I had a couple requests for dip pens and I have been putting it off.
But I got a nice wedge shaped piece of BOW from Bill. Looking at it, I saw a dip pen blank all over it. So here it is.

You can find cheap wood dip pens around. I removed the little metal
nib holder, they are just pressed in, without to much trouble you
can remove them. I had two around and both messured the same diamiter.
Maybe luck or maybe something standard. The OD of the holder is .248 and compresses down to .238

I drilled a hole for the nib 1" deep using a " B " bit which is .238,
It fit the madrell tight, but went on, you can use a " C " bit as well, which I think is .242

I used a drill chuck with a mini mandrell that I bought from CSU for making the "pocket pen" and just snugged up the tail stock to it and turn to your desired fit.

I made this for myself, so it is much wider than the originals shown.
I have bigger paws. Overall length is subjective, anywhere from 6-8"

The originals messured .356 at the nib, which is just slightly larger then the nib of a twist pen I believe.

So just push the nib fitting in with your fingers and your ready to go. Not hard at all.

I'm off to buy some decent dipping pen nibs.......

2005324154440_DSC00323.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Anthony........I have had several requests for dip pen and have made a few of them. Unfortunately I sent them off before taking any pictures. The problem is the nib holder. I finally found a source for them in Europe and now have about a hundred. If you plan on making any more let me know an I will send you a few. They look the same as shown in your photo.

its_virgil

John,
Bring a few to FW sat and I'll purchase them from you....maybe 5 of them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Anthony........I have had several requests for dip pen and have made a few of them. Unfortunately I sent them off before taking any pictures. The problem is the nib holder. I finally found a source for them in Europe and now have about a hundred. If you plan on making any more let me know an I will send you a few. They look the same as shown in your photo.

Darley

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Anthony........I have had several requests for dip pen and have made a few of them. Unfortunately I sent them off before taking any pictures. The problem is the nib holder. I finally found a source for them in Europe and now have about a hundred. If you plan on making any more let me know an I will send you a few. They look the same as shown in your photo.

John I would be interestd to buy some from you to, if you want.

Serge

PenWorks

John, thanks, I got the nibs today, unfortuneately the Post office flattened everyone except 1 !
Just a note, if you don't want something squished, don't put it in a letter. I used to mail out fingernail files in birthday cards to my clients, well the new files would go threw the bending machine and come out in six pieces. It must be a good machine, as it flattened all these steel nibs.
I should be able to salvage some. It was the thought that counts, thanks. LOL

wayneis

Anthony,
Why the H... would they be shipped in an envelope in the first place? Wouldn't you think that they would have been in some kind of small box?

Wayne

MDWine

Anthony (and all)...

I have a request from a friend for a calligraphy pen. I haven't found any "kits" for such a thing, but it seems the nibs would be similar. Is that true? Anyone have any experience w/calligraphy pens?

TIA!

PenWorks

Mike, your request could be for a dip pen such as this with a calligraphy nib, or any FP with a calligraphy nib. You need to find out what he wants. You can make a Jr or Baron, and then buy a calligraphy nib from CS, they are like 6.00 and just replace the nib that came with the kit. The only thing about the calligraphy nib, it is black and gold only on the finish.

lkorn

Does this mean that you are using two kits to make one pen? Or are you buying extra Baron nibs?
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Yep, When I make a Statesmen Jr. I ussually put a two tone Baron nib in it for better looks, They are interchangeabe.

PenWorks

Larry, the nib I steal out of the baron, I replace from the other kit. So the Statesmen jr has the two tone and the baron ends up with just a platinum nib. I don't think BB is selling just nibs, but I should ask him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom