Dimmer switch on a lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Any ideas about using a router VS - "dimmer switch" for a 3/4 HP Milwalkee-made Delta/Rockwell lathe? The lathe is 8.6 amps and the switch is supposed to be good for 15. I know this baby is filthy, but it should clean up nicely.

2005513203734_DSCN0141.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

short answer.

I don't think it will work unless your motor is a universal motor.

J. Fred Muggs

It ain't gonna work!! Those switches work on Universal motors (the ones with brushes. won't work on induction motors (the kind on most all stationary woodworking tools. Sorry!!![^]

its_virgil

Don't do it!...until you make for sure it is OK. I think that a motor must be compatible with a dimmer or using a dimmer will damage the motor. I know when voltage is low motors will burn out. And I tnink the dimmer switch actually lowers the voltage, but the router motor is made for use with the dimmer switch. I am no electrician but check it out first. No use in damaging you lathe motor. I think variable speed motors may be DC and the dimmer unit also converts 110 to DC. If I;m totally off base, just ignore this reply.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br /><b>Any ideas about using a router VS - "dimmer switch" for a 3/4 HP Milwalkee-made Delta/Rockwell lathe? The lathe is 8.6 amps and the switch is supposed to be good for 15. I know this baby is filthy, but it should clean up nicely.</b>

2005513203734_DSCN0141.jpg
<br />

driften

For example the on the Jet Mini its an AC motor on the normal version and DC on the VS model. I think if your motor is AC it will not work... but I sure am no expert!

BigRob777

Thank you all, I won't do it. I'll just get another hd light switch, like the one on it now. The plastic toggle is gone, so I need a new one. You folks really saved my lathe. THANK YOU!!!!![:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

Fred in NC

Totally agree with the above. Router speed control works with UNIVERSAL motors, which have brushes. The motor in your pic has a capacitor (the bulge on top), and both control and motor can burn out.

Cheapest variable speed for your lathe would be a motor and controller from Surplus Center.

Beautiful lathe, by the way !!!

BigRob777

<b>Thank you so much for your insight. I wired my whole shop, including 220 service, but I don't know squat about motors. It is really great to have such a resource as you folks. I do appreciate it and so does my lathe. I kicked it on tonight just to make sure it ran and it started slowly, because I guess it was on a 50' 14g extension cord. I had to flip the switch before plugging it in, so I plugged it into my dust collector switch/outlet. I think it needs grease, but it hummed. I hope this isn't consicered blasphemy here, but I can't wait to turn my first bowl. I'll get the pen kit afterwards. Oh, for those of you who knew I was going to sell wood on ebay, tonight, my first close, was a big success.
Thanks for the compliment on the lathe, it has cast iron legs and maple planks, so it is nice and heavy.
Don't get jealous guys, but my wife likes me to have a hobby. That way she can watch QVC, not really, but she knows it is good for me to do physical things. Plus Christmas costs less now.</b>
[:D][^][:D]
<b>Big Rob</b>

That's a good lookin' lathe. Nice and heavy. The motor is an induction motor not a universal motor (which is what routers have) as others have said. If you use a dimmer switch you'll damage the motor. If you need a different range of speeds try a pulley with "more steps". This link shows how to determine spindle speeds http://woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/414.xml
hope that helps.

BigRob777

Thanks Geo,
I'll check it out. It does have 4 pulleys, I just was being too cheap to buy a new switch. Shame on me. Anyway, I will purchase and install a heavy duty switch and will NOT use the router speed control. Sometimes you can only kill one bird with each stone. Thanks to you guys, I won't be killing one lathe with one dial.

Nice lathe, Rob. You do know it's around 50-60 years old don't you? I have one from the same time frame. If you need any info on lubing let me know. Here is a link to a 1940's something Delta catalog with similar lathes. You won't believe what it cost new![^]
http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Delta/1940-Catalog.pdf (check around page 37)
Take care when you bolt it down. If the table is not real flat, it's easy to misalign the tailstock to the headstock, due to twisting the bed. Yep, did that on mine.
ken

Travlr7

Just my .02. A "Dimmer" is for lighting and not an induction load such as a motor. A variable speed motor switch is different and needs to be used, as has been stated before, with a compatable motor.

Bruce[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom