A Dilemma - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Default A Dilemma

Well I got myself in a pickle. First let me say I have started up making pens again after about a year layoff. I found an old segmented blank I made up about 4 or 5 years ago. I tried this blank once before but blew it up but I learned from my mistakes as we all do as we go through this stuff. Well I must have constructed the blank again back then but never cast it. I am thinking of taking another crack at it.

But here is my dilemma. I have NOOOOOO idea what kit I built this on. I looked through all my kits that I usually use. I also have some I never used but nothing matches the sizes of the tubes. I started looking through the charts in the library but so far no luck and boy there is alot of kits.

So I thought maybe someone here has either made a cheat sheet over the years and matched kits according to size in some shape or form, Or can recognize the dimensions of these tubes.

This is a 2 piece kit more than likely a rollerball because that is about all I make. The small barrel which is the Cap is (these measurements are within a click or 2 because tough to get true readings with the work on them)
Cap:
12.28mm X 47.57mm
or
.482" X 1.879"

Lower tube
10.18mm X 57.17mm
or
.401" X 2.251"

What is throwing me off is the lower tube is so much longer than kits I usually use. I am assuming I chose this kit because it has substantial meat left when turned down to accommodate the casting.

So I am reaching out to the masses in hopes I can solve this. Thanks in advance and if I happen to stumble on it in the mean time I will report back.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 132

Majestic Jr. RB / FP specs are pretty close, except for the length of the lower tube.

Upper tube:
.483 X 1.88

Lower tube:
.400 X 2.03
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroberg View Post
Majestic Jr. RB / FP specs are pretty close, except for the length of the lower tube.

Upper tube:
.483 X 1.88

Lower tube:
.400 X 2.03
That was the exact kit I thought because I am using them for other things right now and I put the cap next to one of those and looked spot on but when I put the lower tube next to one not even close. Still a puzzle. Thanks for looking.

My Photo Album
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 15

The ID of the tubes is the critical measurement. A two-piece rollerball kit with the proper inside diameters could still work if the tubes are too long. Cap will be just a bit extended and you can extend the body using a spacer to properly position the refill/spring. So you can have a custom XL version!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

The Jr. Aaron is slightly longer than the regular Jr's. but the same diameter. It just has a longer spring. Now when I order replacement Jr tubes, they all come with the longer lower tube. I was told they are phasing out the original shorter lower tube.
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Could be an opportunity to do a kit-less.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Here are a few that are close:

Kojent Twist Cap BP (1.90/2.24)
Atrax RB/FP (1.90/2.19)
Aaron Jr (1.89/2.17)
George Jr (1.89/2.17)
Hancock (1.86/2.27)

Not sure you'll be able to find a Hancock (Lazerlinez), the Atrax looks like the next best option in my opinion...
Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 76

The lower tube length of 2.251" ...

The Lazerlinez Hancock, according to Home Page table is 2.27" long ...

I have run into this longer than normal length on a couple of prev. occasions. . But, of course, I would not know if this is a kit you might have considered at one time.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 10

My thought was the same as Sam's--Atrax (or Triton--same platform with a little more bling). That seems pretty close to their 10.5 and 12.5mm tubes. Obviously, the tube lengths don't need to be exact for this application.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
My thought was the same as Sam's--Atrax (or Triton--same platform with a little more bling). That seems pretty close to their 10.5 and 12.5mm tubes. Obviously, the tube lengths don't need to be exact for this application.
I have none of the above mentioned kits so know they are out except the TRiton. I will check that one. Thanks.

My Photo Album
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads