Digital Caliper @ HF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I noticed Harbour Freight has a digital caliper on sale for $9.99 (reg $20)
if anyone is interested.
Model 98563-0VGA. (Tried to paste link and picuture, didnt work)

I use on one of these, has a lock knob, spare battery etc. Works good for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I have the HF one. Works fine. Remember to shut it off though, because while it'll shut off on its own, it does eat batteries.

BigguyZ

I have the Rockler caliper. I prefer it over steel, as the jaws won't mar the blank of the hardware (I measure for each set I have- except slmilines).

Also, HF has the PP on sale, as well as the punch set for like $7. In addition, they have two separate tap/die sets on sale as well (in their mail out flyer).

How are the HF tap/ die sets? Is there a tutorial on how to make your own threads? I'm tapped stuff before, but never used a die.

Randy_

I have the HF one. Works fine. Remember to shut it off though, because while it'll shut off on its own, it does eat batteries.

I just purchased the little 4" one recently and checked it out to be sure it shut itself off. It ran for almost 6 minutes before it shut itself off.

Little bit of a choice to be made when using the thing. It is tempting to shut the tool off after every measurement to save on batteries; but batteries are relatively cheap (especially if you get them at the dollar store) and turning the switch on and off 20 or 30 times in an evening might put more wear and tear on the switch than one would like. It is easy enought to buy a battery if one wears out; but if the switch craps out your tool is trash.

RAdams

Banned
i better jump on this... all i have is the old school dial caliper, and i just got it about 6 months ago.

dankc908

Thanks all for this thread. I've been looking to replace my old 'hard-to-read' caliper and the price can't be beat. I just ordered the Rockler one!

Dan26

I bought the 6" caliper from Rockler about six months ago and find it very accurate. I was surprised since it was only $10 and had plastic jaws (?). I'm very happy with it.

Wildman

Randy, like my fractional 6" digital model better. I paid $18 with tax on sale while back.

May see if my HF store has any more on sale for $10.

I would lose the 4" model easier than the 6", which can hide from me for days!

Randy_

There is no doubt that fractional calipers have their place in the woodworking crafts (in fact, I have an inexpensive plastic caliper that I bought at Rockler for about 3 bucks); but, they would not be my first choice for pen crafting where it is frequently necessary to measure to an accuracy of only a few thousandths of an inch.

Now if someone made a caliper that had an output in fractional measurements, metric and inches, that would be terrific!! Does anyone make such an animal?

I have seen some that displayed fractional and decimal inches; but the decimal inches were only to 0.01" and one more decimal place is really important for pen crafting.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
There is no doubt that fractional calipers have their place in the woodworking crafts (in fact, I have an inexpensive plastic caliper that I bought at Rockler for about 3 bucks); but, they would not be my first choice for pen crafting where it is frequently necessary to measure to an accuracy of only a few thousandths of an inch.

Now if someone made a caliper that had an output in fractional measurements, metric and inches, that would be terrific!! Does anyone make such an animal?

I have seen some that displayed fractional and decimal inches; but the decimal inches were only to 0.01" and one more decimal place is really important for pen crafting.

Woodcraft sells the Wixley that switches between metric and imperial at the push of a button. Is accurate to .001 and when you are at any 1/64th increment displays the fractional measurement.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader

I have seen some that displayed fractional and decimal inches; but the decimal inches were only to 0.01" and one more decimal place is really important for pen crafting.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I picked up the one from Rockler. Their web site says "Internet only" but if you ask they will match that price if they have them.
It will read in fractional measurements, metric and inches and will measure to .0000 and 1/128"
I checked mine against my good caliper and it seems fine. I may pick up another to have as a spare and pit my good one back in the gunsmith box.
Dave

Daniel

if you don't mind do a bit of math, or are like me and keep a calculator handy. It is easy to know the decimal equivalent of any fraction. 1/64 is actually saying One divided by Sixty Four. so simply do the math and you have the decimal equivalent.

Randy_

Woodcraft sells the Wixley that switches between metric and imperial at the push of a button. Is accurate to .001 and when you are at any 1/64th increment displays the fractional measurement.
I don't know how much difference there is in quality, if any, between the Wixley and the HF units; but the Wixley is a few dollars over 50 so there is a significant price difference!!

.....It will read in fractional measurements, metric and inches and will measure to .0000 and 1/128"
Are you sure about the 0.0000" accuracy? Most calipers only read to a 1/1000 and the web site did not specify. Also note a number of reviewers were less that happy with the thing measuring fractions in 128ths cause you still had to do minor math to convert 59/128 into a more familiar decimal.

The 4" caliper is $29 and the 6" one a few dollars more which is not too bad and they currently have a polycarbonate one on sale for $9.99!!

if you don't mind do a bit of math, or are like me and keep a calculator handy.....
In some cases that is not necessary. I have seen calipers that have a little conversion chart on the back of the slide. For some though, the chart may be problematic. If you purchased the digital job for the ease of reading the large display, the charts are pretty tiny and may be difficult or impossible to read!!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom