Different types of CA accelerator, and fog spots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Season

I just switched to a new type of CA accelerator and it smells just like rubbing alcohol. I used it on an ironwood pen and ended up with some little spots under that finish that look "foggy." I've heard that term around here before and was wondering if you guys think the accelerator is the culprit. Any ideas?

Thanks
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marionquill

I avoid using accelerator now because some areas dry a bright white while other areas dry clear; without it, the whole thing dries clear. Probably doesn't matter much but it dries so fast anyway, why take the chance? Anyway, I tend to get the little CA foggy spots on pens that are oily or very dense. When that happens, I simply strip the CA, clean the blank with denatured alcohol and try it again. My guess is that it's more likely the oily wood causing the problem than the new brand of accelerator.

Jason

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nick, also make very sure that the blank is dry before applying the CA Denatured alcohol can absorb water from the air, so I would blast the blank with compressed air (which can also have moisture in it) before applying the finish.

Season

Thanks guys. It's on a piece of desert ironwood, is that considered oily?

DurocShark

Using the same brand, yesterday I switched from the pump to the aerosol. Wow, what a difference. I got fogginess and bubbling from the pump. None of that from the aerosol. Worked great!

Season

Sanded all the CA off and tried again. This time with no accelerator. Did a few coats of then, then switched to thick.

After polishing it up, I noticed small white vertical lines. Like the CA cured white in between coats, or it garbed some of the paper towel.

Any thoughts?

RMB

I get streaks in my CA sometimes when I start sanding before it has completely dried. Try giving it a few minutes before you start sanding, go assemble another pen or something.

DKF

I only use the aeresol can CA accelerator.....I have heard of problems with the pump at times. After putting the coat of CA on, wait for 1 minute before putting on the accel.....then wait a few minutes before putting on your next coat. The white spots are moisture of some kind getting trapped. Just my .02..........

jrc

There are 2 kinds of accelerator. Fast acting and mild. The mild fogs up tha fast acting does not. I've been using the fast acting for 7 years and never a problem.

Top Bottom