Different size mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I first started turning pens about 20 years ago however I've not turned much in the past 5 years or so. Most of those have been 7mm kits. However many years ago I turned some pens that had larger tubes and used a "B" size mandrel. Mine is bent, and I want to replace it but I dont see mandrels being sold of different sizes now.
Is there only one size of mandrels now?
Wow, I feel like a complete noob now having to ask this but actually I guess im starting all over.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "B" mandrel came from Berea. It is still available from them, ExoticBlanks, Beartoothwoods and Arizona Silhouette (probably others, as well).

"B" size bushings are more of a challenge!

tbfoto

That makes sense. I couldnt remember where I got this but now I do remember buying from Berea. So if "B" size bushings are a challange does that mean that most other modern pen kits all use 7mm tubes? Or are the modern bushings simply made to fit the same mandrels?

So after further research it sounds like most modern pen kits use the "A" mandrel 7mm tube system. May not be worth my money to buy a new "B" mandrel just to do a couple old kits.

Last edited:

Jim Smith

I may as well be the first to suggest you do a search here on IAP on Turning Between Centers (TBC) and skip the mandrill altogether since they seem to bend so easily. I know I switch off of using mandrills for pens about 6 years ago and I would never go back to using a mandrill. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

KenV

The bushings for the vast majority of pens now fit on the A mandrel, which is the size of a letter D bit (.248").

D size is 0.246 but the difference is only .002

I purchase D sizes high carbon steel rod and use it in a collet Chuck for cheap mandrel.

L sized rod is .001 undersized and works instead of a B mandrel

tbfoto

I may as well be the first to suggest you do a search here on IAP on Turning Between Centers (TBC) and skip the mandrill altogether since they seem to bend so easily. I know I switch off of using mandrills for pens about 6 years ago and I would never go back to using a mandrill. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Oh my gosh.....its hell getting old. :eek:
I think I bought 60 degree centers several years back...never used them. I'm going to have to go through the garage tomorrow and see if I can locate them. Completely forgot about trying that method.
Thanks Jim for mentioning that.

plantman

Jim Smith

Oh my gosh.....its hell getting old. :eek:
I think I bought 60 degree centers several years back...never used them. I'm going to have to go through the garage tomorrow and see if I can locate them. Completely forgot about trying that method.
Thanks Jim for mentioning that.

Turning between 60 degree centers and using tapered bushing on a mandrel will give you the same results. One size will fit all tube sizes !! Don't throw away that bent mandrel however!! Cut it off and drill and glue a piece of PR or very hard wood to the cut off end. Taper this to 60 degrees or whatever you want, and you will now have a tapered drive center to go along with your tapered live center. As a matter of fact, with a little straitening, you could probably make two drive centers as both ends are threaded on the mandrel. I have a #1 MT on my mini lathe and could not find a tapered drive center for it, so I made one. Jim S

Last edited:

MTViper

I have a B mandrel and a couple of bushings for different pens that I use with it. For large diameter pens or pens with large ID tubes, I really like it. I use it mostly for cigar and Churchill pens. Runs smoother and less flex than a standard mandrel.

crashgtr

I was having the same question about the larger mandrel. I stopped by the woodcract store in Allentown PA and they told me there was only one size and rambled on and felt compelled to show me that even the huge cigar carrying kits use the standard 7mm mandrel.

When I asked for a dead center so I could turn between centers I received an unwanted lecture about the only way to turn pens from this sales person who had been turning pens for 15 years was on a mandrel. UGH!

Rockytime

<SNIP> When I asked for a dead center so I could turn between centers I received an unwanted lecture about the only way to turn pens from this sales person who had been turning pens for 15 years was on a mandrel. UGH!

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Lots of good advice here but do what works for you. Happy turning!

Top Bottom