Different pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dartman

I have been doing a lot of pens but am getting burned out on the same kits.I have done cigar,wall street II(a lot) slimeline.I was thinking of doing some atlas and mayby hart both from my Woodcraft store.Have there been any issues with these?They look good in the catalog but like to ask this before I walk in.Price is also an issue.Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I've issues with the atlas (and others by various names) with the transmission and cap coming loose. Maybe it was just the production run. I haven't made any in several year plus I'm not keen on the design. Good luck if you try the atlas or atlas clones.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

(which presses onto the transmission)
I have been doing a lot of pens but am getting burned out on the same kits.I have done cigar,wall street II(a lot) slimeline.I was thinking of doing some atlas and mayby hart both from my Woodcraft store.Have there been any issues with these?They look good in the catalog but like to ask this before I walk in.Price is also an issue.Thanks.

greggas

I have made many Patriot ( aka Atlas) pen kits through the years and have not had any issues ( knock on wood). have never made Hart .
Good luck

Jim Burr

Banned
Spend time with any catalog on or off line and the possibilities are endless Alan! There will be issues with any kit you get so have a lash at a couple and let us know what you think.

cwolfs69

Like the Hart, be careful wqith length

I love the Hart Double Twist from Woodcraft. I call it the Mini Cigar. It is very nice when made properly. The only thing i would caution you about is to Be careful with the lengths of the tubes, Especially, the Top. If made to short even the smallest amount it will be a fatal flaw. Other than that they are very nice and you can get the Euro clips to add a little style to the pen.

Dan Masshardt

Give a capped rollerball a try. The Continental at Woodcraft (Atrax from exotic blanks etc). Also the navigator (baron) is a solid kit.

CrimsonKeel

My next kit will be a zen kit. i just love how it shows a long piece of blank.
the long clicker is on my list too.

If you havent made a bolt action one those are my best sellers right now you could try them

dartman

Thanks for the reply's everyone. No I havent thought of going kitless but i will in the future.I think i will try a couple of the atlas and go from there.I will see tomorrow when I go into town.

mdburn_em

I remember many years ago when the Hart pen or Elegant American (as it's known elsewhere) were roundly castigated by many members of this forum. They hated the abrupt division in the center. It's so abrupt, it's almost sharp.

I always thought it was striking and I've made quite a few.

You absolutely cannot shorten the tubes or you will shed a few tears.

toddlajoie

Go freestyle with the slimline kits, grab some longer 7mm tubes (Woodcraft's Euro kit has 2 lengths, you want to get the longer one, I think it is about 1/4 inch, or maybe a bit more longer, than the standard slim tube) and use the longer tube on the lower part of the pen, standard tube on the top part, and loose the center band. in the middle you can go wherever you want...

Also, re the Atlas tops coming loose, I epoxy in the top inner tube (that holds the clip on) to keep it from loosening. Never had a problem with the actual top coming loose, just the clip....

Last edited:

dartman

Thanks again for the ideas.I went and got the atlas kits and I think I will like them.I all ready have an abundance of 7 mm tubs That i use for other projects.I cane that a try also.

Top Bottom