Different condition of my maple.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

Does anyone know what the condition/style of maple I have. It has been outside for a few years and the white stripes, circle and blotches showed up. I can't find any images of this maple.
Tim. Striped maple.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes, it is in the early stages of starting to spalt or decay in sections. I have some pear that I had outside for years and recently cut it open. It looks exactly like that.

KenV

Looks like oyster mushroom or similar spalt. No black lines with that fungus on the local woods here.

Wood is bleached by the fungus. Looks like bleaching in the photos.

Sari Robinson is the Spalt Lady

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like oyster mushroom or similar spalt. No black lines with that fungus on the local woods here.

Wood is bleached by the fungus. Looks like bleaching in the photos.

Sari Robinson is the Spalt Lady

Ken,

I figured it was something like that but didn't have that specific knowledge. There is often black line spalt in some woods like that but the bleach area does not have black lined spalt in it. I have some mushroomed wood I am going to cut open and see what is in it.

Tim'sTurnings

It doesn't resemble the starting of spalt to me. It has round circles of the white color and I have never seen that in spalted wood before. Another site mentioned white rot. It seems likely but the white spots are as solid as the unaffected wood. I have some cut into blanks and I can't wait for warmer weather so I can turn some and see how it looks.:rolleyes:

Tim'sTurnings

I did some more research on the internet and apparently my maple is called "lightly spalted maple." I guess that is the answer that I have been looking for.
Tim.

Top Bottom