A Different Cigar Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

A long while back, I purchased a bunch of Cigar Pens (Upgrade Gold) from somebody here in IAP. (I can't remember who I bought them from).
I finally got around to turning them. The kits are from WoodCraft.

I'm having bigtime problems with the nib assembly.

The Black Decorative Ring will not screw onto the Nib Adaptor. I'm certain I'm trying to screw it on in the correct direction. It screws down a couple of threads and then stops dead.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, Doc is trying correctly!!

I had a group of TN cigars with the same problem. Fortunately, it was only 5 or so that I got, out of LOTS. So, I have them as "spare parts".

Doc, I tried screwing them down a little farther every night. My fingers got really sore. Tried a locking pliers, with the jaws "insulated" with tape, tore the $hit out of that black piece.

So, in the distorted words of Edison, "I know a bunch of ways that DON'T work!" And, I can confirm you are SANE!!! (Isn't THAT great news!)

If YOU find an answer, I still have a couple kits that could be useable. I did think about removing the black band and replacing it with a piece that matched the material on the pen (SUBSTANTIAL price increase if I do this!)

Keep me informed![;)][;)]

Ron Mc

Al, This was an issues with Bereu cigar kits about a year ago. This is why the new kits already have the part screwed on. The way I dealt with this problem was to use one of the rubber type sheets that helps you open a jar. I gently took a set of piers and turned a sacrificial pert on and off so that the plating was at the right dimension and I could screw the new piece on.
Hope this helps.

DocStram

Speaking of sanity ..... I was driving down the street the other day and there was an old van in front of me with a bunch of kids inside and a woman driving. I pulled up behind her at a stop sign and read the bumper sticker she had on the back of the van. It said:

"WHO ARE THESE KIDS AND WHY DO THEY KEEP CALLING ME MOM?"

I sat there and laughed and laughed.

DocStram

Thanks Ron and Cav ..... Here's what I just did. I called WC and talked with their tech support person. He said WC knows nothing about the problem. But when I pressed a little, he said they will send new pieces to replace the defective ones.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Doc,

Woodcraft has a "new" version of the Cigar. They claim it needs new bushings, etc. I have micrometered the parts, there is NO difference. So, whatever partss they send you ARE interchangeable.

angboy

For some reason I've found that if you screw on the black ring first, alone, then do the larger part of the nib, I have much better luck. I don't know which way you're doing it, but when I sort of stack those two pieces and try to screw them on together, it often sticks. But screwing the black ring on by itself, I usually don't have trouble and then the other part screws on easily too. Maybe that'll help?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Doc,

Eagle has to be talking about the part in the upper tube. The lower nib section will NOT screw up to the top of the fitting - nib threads are NOT that long, there is a gap. HOWEVER, using the nib to repair the threads so the little black ring can go on, might work!!

Sylvanite

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />
The Black Decorative Ring will not screw onto the Nib Adaptor. I'm certain I'm trying to screw it on in the correct direction. It screws down a couple of threads and then stops dead.
I tried some of the "factory seconds" cigar pen kits from WoodPenPro and this is one of the problems that these kits have (on a side note, I'm thinking of writing up a list of all the problems these kits have and the workarounds I've used). My workaround to this problem comes in two steps:

1) Chase the threads on the nib. Assemble the nib without using the black ring. Instead screw the two chrome/gold/ti/whatever plated parts together all the way. These parts are larger and easier to screw together by hand. Then unscrew them. This helps clean up any roughness in the threads of the nib.

2) Chase the threads on the ring. Turn the black ring around and screw it on backwards. It's much easier to hold in this configuration. Disassemble them.

That will clean up the threads on both parts and they will now screw together in the correct orientation.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Firefyter-emt

FYI, I just tried this on my PITH pen. I removed the refill, and removed the black band from the nib assy and put the tip back on. This kit (I think a Berea) will in deed fit togather and it looks pretty IMHO. All that would be needed is to make the lower tube that much longer to offset the nib being closer to the blank.

So yes, Eagle is correct.

BTW, why not just lightly file the inside threads???

12072.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom