Different Cigar Bushing Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

Why are there two different sizes for the second to largest bushing on this kit? You get the bushing from WC and it's .511 and you get the bushings from AS and it's .530. I've noticed some of my cigar pens that I have used the .530 bushing and it looks like the top part of the bottom section is proud of the twist holder as the twist holder is rounded. The top of the twist holder is .530. However with it being rounded the material shows an edge because of the rounded twist holder. I had to pull my pen off and rework that bottom material again with the WC bushing that is .511 so it looked decent. Does BB or Berea know that that bushing is too big? I'm going to have to sand the .530 bushing down to .511.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DKF

I was not aware of this....I have a bushing set from WC, as well as one from Lee Valley. My understanding is they both sell Berea kits. I do not have bushings from AS...I will have to measure mine to see if there is a difference.

Tanner

Is everyone reading this and saying, man what an idiot this guy is?[V] There are two different sizes for the second to largest bushing on the cigar kit isn't there? At any rate I won't be using the .530 bushing anymore with the cigar kit. Too big and makes the pen look goofy.

hrigg

Nope--I'm reading it and thinking, "...there's something to watch out for when I finally get around to trying to make a cigar pen." Got the kits (Beartooth), got the wood, got the bushings (Woodcraft), but I got other things to do first. After several unsuccessful attempts at various pens, I learned to size the wood to the kit, not the bushing, but I use the bushings as rough guides.

We all have 3 suppliers of pen kits--Craft Supplies, Penn State, and Berea. Each of them offers a "Cigar" kit, with bushings as well, but who's to say that ALL "Cigar" kits, and bushings, are the same??? I think we have to look at where the bushings come from, and then match them up with kits from the same source. Doesn't that make a bit of sense?

Woodlvr

Tim,
You are not an idiot but someone who learned something and was willing to share with the rest of us. Thank you for this.[:D]

Mike

mick

Ed4copies posted awhile back a great fix for this problem. Since the tramsmission coupler has a rounded or rolled edge, simply round over with your skew and create a radius on the end of the lower blank. It doesn't take much just a few thousandths. Try to match the radius of the coupler and it looks fine. Another fix I've personally done is to turn down this bushing to a diameter that brings the edge to the same diameter as the flat part of the coupler. Short of either of these fixes a good set of digital calipers are a must with some of the quality control we see on a lot of the bushing we are getting now days.

Tanner

It's kinda weird as AS sells the bushing that is .530 and the cigar kit that has the tramsmission coupler that has a rounded or rolled edge. The top of this rolled edge coupler is .530, however it is .511 at the bottom of the rolled edge. I just wanted to point this out to everyone as I looked at some of my cigar pens I made and it looks unfinished if the material sticks up to the top of the rounded coupler. The Woodcraft bushing looks to be the way to go as it is a .511 bushing size for that coupler. The bushing from Woodcraft ia a one piece, two bushing part for the middle of the pen.

Thanks for the responses, I thought I was alone on this.[:)]

gerryr

I have Berea cigar bushings I purchased from AS and cigar bushings I purchased from CSUSA. When I make a cigar pen, I just grab a set of bushings, doesn't matter which set, and make the pen. I haven't had any problems, but maybe my bushings are older and therefore different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom