Different between the JR GENTS II caps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

philb

Hi,

Just been having a scoot around CSUSA, and noticed that the JR GENTS II with postable cap are cheaper than the tapered end ones?

Does anyone have any experience with both? Which looks better in the end, and does anyone have any comparison pics?

As it seems pointless in spending more if they are similar to turn and look the same!!

Cheers PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

IMHO.. the smooth non-posting cap looks far better, although the threaded one looks "good" as far as postable pens go. The pen itself is balanced very nice without the cap on the end and I personaly like it without the cap much better.

That said, I do get a lot of "where do you place the cap?" questions and I think the postable pen may sell better. Although in the long run that person might like the non-postable pen better after some time using the pen.

Just curious though... in my latest cataloge, they are the same price between smooth & threaded.

Brewmeister35

I personally think the non-posted pen looks alot nicer but I've had people complain that the pen itself is a little on the short side. That and most people I've dealt with looking at stepping into a nicer pen like these don't want to deal with the cap not being able to be attached.

Rudy Vey

I pretty much sell only pens with the postable cap. We stock some with the smooth cap, but everyone wants the threaded end - guess the reason is the size of the pen.

Firefyter-emt

Well, I don't have anything finished, but here is a side by side of the ends alone.

1111073.jpg

The non posting pen has a perfectly smooth transition from the wood to the post cap, where the posting end has a step and trim ring just like the nib end of the pen.

Here is my daily pen (until the new one is done and this one is sent to CSUSA for anaylsis on the plating)

my-pen.jpg

Texatdurango

Originally posted by philbaldwin
<br />Hi,

Just been having a scoot around CSUSA, and noticed that the JR GENTS II with postable cap are cheaper than the tapered end ones?

Does anyone have any experience with both? Which looks better in the end, and does anyone have any comparison pics?

As it seems pointless in spending more if they are similar to turn and look the same!!

Cheers PHIL

Phil, I have never noticed a difference in price and order them all the time. I just checked their catalog and the prices are the same, you might have fat fingered something.[:p]

On my website, I have lots of examples of threaded and non threaded pens, side by side for comparisons. Check out http://georges-penworks.com/cappedpens.html

Personally, I like the threaded caps better and sell more of them than the non threaded pens.

Buzz

I personally think the non-posted pen looks a lot nicer but I've had people complain that the pen itself is a little on the short side.

Same here. What I'm moving to doing now is to carry the Baron (which is postable) and make the Jr Gent's only with the tapered end. Otherwise there are so many combinations that the customer will never make up their mind!

However, being a retailer, and needing higher stock levels made up and on display does contribute to the problem for me. People will always want what you don't have on hand, eg. that particular pen but in different metal, or with a tapered end instead of threaded and vice-versa, or as a rollerball instead of a fountain pen. Its only the last one of these, of course, that is readily doable.

I've just started a batch of Jr Statesman with the tapered end, but have extended the main body of it by about 10 mm. I just feel that this fancier pen should be bigger in some way than the Jr Gent's.

Firefyter-emt

Chris, for what it's worth, the short length of the Jr. Statesman is what I like the most about the pen. I have a lot of shirts that the larger pens do not fit in very well, the Jr. Statesman / Gent. fit perfectly for me.

redfishsc

<br />Hi,

Cheers PHIL

Neither. I turn them closed-end. I like them better, the customers like them better.

gerryr

<br />

Cheers PHIL

I just checked their website and it sure looks to me like they're the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom