Different accent materials???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jttheclockman

I see people here use accent materials such as exotic woods and pickguards. Was wondering what other materials are good for this use??? I just read about old credit cards which sounds like a good one. I was wondering about these sheets of copper or brass or aluminum you see in craft stores, can this be used and how hard is it on the tools if you use metal like that??? Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hi John,
There are endless numbers of things that can be used. I personally have not used to many of the creative materials. There are lots of folks here that have experience in inlays and segmenting.
From what I have heard, metals like copper, brass and aluminum are not overly hard on tools because they are some of the softer, and are used in thin quantities. Also, the tools we use are usually HHS or harder and can easily stand up to the softer metals.
Hang in and you should get some more responses.

tnilmerl

I've used brass and aluminum. Works great. Brass tends to tarnish if you don't seal it. You need to have sharper tools (Duh!) and try to avoid scraping as this tends to pull on the material and it'll pull your blank apart. This happened this weekend to me. Spend 4 days laminating up a blank with brass and was turning it this weekend. I was getting close to the final dimension and I let my tool angle dip down. BAM! Caught the brass and the blank blew apart. I was so mad at myself. Stormed out of the shop. Haven't returned to my shop since. Blank is still mounted on the lathe today.

stevers

Temper,temper Travis.[}:)][}:)] I've never stormed out of my shop like that, or thrown a tool at the wall, or yelled at the dog for being "there". Any way, I gotta go, I'm late for my anger management meeting.

kent4Him

Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />What about all the cds you get in the mail???????? Oh, I thought of an idea so early in the morning.....scary!!!!!

Becca, I brought up this idea at the MPG this weekend, and while no one said don't do it, the general concensus was that CD's are very brittle and you might have a problem with chipping.

tnilmerl

Went back into shop last night. Pen blank is still mounted on lathe as a reminder. Started working on a figured walnut and maple/brass lamination. Cut up walnut the way I wanted, no problem. Cut out maple inserts, and was sanding to fit. Walnut was just a weee bit canted. Decided to 'trim' it with hand chisel. Yep, tool needed sharpening. Result was a deep tearout of walnut. &gt;SIGH&lt;

Now all my chisels are laying out for sharpening tonite. Now this piece of walnut will sit on my bench for a few months as a further reminder of what NOT to do. Always check your tools first on scrap before using on the good stuff.

As far as aluminum, not sure where people get their stock. I use soda cans. Thin stock, very malleable, and turns fine. Great accent pieces.

alamocdc

Becca, I was one of those that said using CDs was a bad idea. Have you ever tried to break one? I made the mistake of folding one in half back when they came out. Instead of snapping in two like plexiglass, or most other plastics we are familiar with, it exploded. Little shards of plastic shrapnel everywhere.

wudnhed

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />
Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />What about all the cds you get in the mail???????? Oh, I thought of an idea so early in the morning.....scary!!!!!

Becca, I brought up this idea at the MPG this weekend, and while no one said don't do it, the general concensus was that CD's are very brittle and you might have a problem with chipping.

Sure ......take away probably the only inventive thought I had all day[:(][;)] I'm in the Trivia Loser Club, now I'm even running it and STILL can win[V], in the Loser Joke Club and now you tell me I am in the Loser Idea Club......I think I see a pattern forming here[V][:p][;)][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom