Differences in plastic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

blodal

I see several types of plastic in pen blanks, such as Acrylic, Celluloid, Acrylester, PR, Inlace. What is the difference in these materials?

Is there any difference in turning the different types?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Much like woods, some are harder than others, some are more prone to cracking/chipping than others, and (unlike wood) some are more likely to get gummy/soften/melt if you sand them too aggressively (damhikt). But they can all essentially be turned the same way, using the same tools. The differences in the materials are the chemical compositions of the actual plastic itself.

PenWorks

The difference is in the mix of compounds they use.
They all seem to have their own turning charecters.
Some better or worse than others. Only by trial and error will you find the
right touch and tool that seems to work for you. Try it, you'l like it. [:D]

Dario

Interesting...

Which ones offer the best resistance to scratching?

I mean the one that will keep its finish the longest given the same handling.

blodal

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Much like woods, some are harder than others, some are more prone to cracking/chipping than others, and (unlike wood) some are more likely to get gummy/soften/melt if you sand them too aggressively (damhikt). But they can all essentially be turned the same way, using the same tools. The differences in the materials are the chemical compositions of the actual plastic itself.

Could someone match the above characteristics with the type of plastic in the blank. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the answers.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All the terms are subjective.

Celluloid smells like rubber-doesn't shatter while turning
Acrylic depends on the formulation, but is "harder" usually-probably the easiest to turn, but takes a long time cause it fights back
Polyresin is homemade and can vary widely-brittle as heck to "mushy" Depends on how it was poured. This has turned into my favorite material, as Dawn has a GREAT formula that turns easily and gives a beautiful result-but 'twasn't always the case.
Acrylester and inlace are two names for the same thing, I think-very similar to polyresin with lots of hardener-making it prone to shattering

Once they are turned and the scratches removed to your satisfaction, they will all hold up well. If you drop the pen, then step on it and ride it down the hall, it will scratch. If this is your version of "normal handling" you were meant to own a BIC. If you treat any of them with the same respect you'd give your watch, they will ALL be fine for life.

Hope this helps, and I am certainly willing to read others' opinions about my analysis. I also don't bruise easily.[:D][:D]

PenWorks

I would say, given the drop test on concrete, the celluloid would be less prone to chipping or cracking than PR & Inlace. JMO from personal disasters.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

I really don't think any of them will scratch, unless the owner falls ON TOP of them-but I honestly have NOT tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom