Differences in pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I ordered a bunch of cigar pens from arizona silhouette and relised there are may different levels of these kits. The ones I have been using are from craft supply about $9 a kit I think. Anyhow they are not the apprentice ones. But what is the difference in quality? I know the differences in finishes but other than that what makes the other price difference.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Craft supply has what appears to be an all-metal transmission where the Berea (and other) kits have plastic in theirs. In the Cigar pen, that's the biggest difference I have found, as the diameters of the components seem to be identical with the other brands.

Craft Supply also seems to be more consistent with their finishes. They have a reputation for excellent customer service. I can only say reputation because I have never had to call them, yet.

I have had mixed customer service issues with craft supply. For a $10 item they are great for my $300 vicmark chuck I should of never bought it off of them, got screwed on that one. Still need more of them.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It will be interesting to see the responses. There is a perception that there is a difference in quality, but I have never found it.

ngeb528

yeah, I know that Berea Cigars use a double twist tranny that some (like myself) like and other don't. Otherwise, I can't tell the difference.

What is a double-twist? I've heard it mentioned but don't know how it's different than other twist mechanisms.

its_virgil

Double twist refers to the pen operating by twisting in either direction. Whereas, single twist are those pens that only operate by twisting in one direction.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

What is a double-twist? I've heard it mentioned but don't know how it's different than other twist mechanisms.

MattDaddy

I have turned a couple pens from Craft Supplies and a ton from Woodcraft. With the exception of one Navigator from Woodcraft that had plating issues, I have been very happy with the quality. In general, I feel like the pens I have done from Craft Supplies have been a little lesser quality. The metal just seems a little thinner and some of the fit and finish just isn't there.

I have several hundred dollars of orders being delivered this week from PSI and some additional high end stuff from Craft Supplies - so I should be able to get a better feel soon.

Top Bottom