Differences in pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvir

Since I am fairly new to pen turning I just have to ask this question. Is there any difference in pen kits from the various sources when you pick an equal product? For example a satin nickel slimline kit from Woodcraft vs Penn State vs Craft Supplies vs ........ I have seen similar kits ranging from $2 to $4.50 each. Are the internals the same? Plating? Cartridge?

Thanks Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
While they look identical in some cases, Penn State, Berea and Craft Supply all use their own manufacturing plants in Taiwan or China. The rest of the suppliers are resellers for Berea or Penn State, although there are a couple Chinese manufacturers trying to go direct, so that could add sources other than the above in the near future.

Hope this helps, I'm sure many will give you additional info.[:p]

DocStram

Bob ..... that's a good question. Everybody here has their own personal preferences as to whom to purchase from and what manufacturers provide a consistently high quality. I guess like many people here, I started off with the cheapest, least expensive, lowest cost kits I could find. I wish I would have listened to the advice that was given to me. I soon learned that they lack quality and durability. If you want to see what the IAP members as a whole think .... head to the polls section and look up the question "Where do you get your kits from?" http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12648
Personally, I now purchase my kits from two sources .. BB (Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette) and CSUSA (Craft Supply USA).
Good luck and feel free to keep asking and reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom