Difference/preference on drive centers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

Ok, so I received a collet chuck for Christmas and would like to start turning between centers. But which drive center do think I should get to turn blanks round before putting them in the chuck? I'm looking at these two centers, but I can't see any differences other than name brand and price. Any suggestions?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...Multi-Tooth-Drive-Center-58-Diameter-2MT.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005082/5160/78-Diameter--2-MT.aspx

Yes, I realize the Sorby is 7/8" as opposed to 5/8". I'm not sure if this would be better or worse though.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

My thoughts echo comments above. My drive senter on my lathe is a bit larger and it causes a lot of issues. real easy to run into with the turning tools etc. the 5/8 would go a ways in helping avoid that.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Brian, I don't understand the need for a collet chuck as a drive centre for penturning. Am I missing something?

I just use an MT2 dead centre that I purchased from johnnycnc here on IAP.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I have the 5/8 "Wood River" center and it works fine. The reason the other one costs so much more is because it has the name, "Sorby" on it. It's simply the difference between "national brand" and "store brand".

KenV

I have both Sorby and knockoff steb style centers -- The Sorby is better machined, and has a bit better steel (judged by the file test) - But the knockoff works just fine, but likely will need some file work if you drop it on a concrete floor.

The 7/8 will work better for 1 1/2 inch and larger stock vs pens blanks.

My $0.02 is to get the $20 dollar version unless you decide to become a production turner doing a lot of spindle work.

Hi Brian, I don't understand the need for a collet chuck as a drive centre for penturning. Am I missing something?

I just use an MT2 dead centre that I purchased from johnnycnc here on IAP.

I'm with Mac here... both of the drive centers you showed are MT2 and will fit directly into the head stock spindle... then to turn between centers you will want the 60 deg from Johnnycnc... I'm planning on getting a collet system but for other things than pen turning... I drill my blanks while still square, then turn round...

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
If I change from dirlling my blanks on the drill press to drilling on the lathe what size and type of collet assembly do I need. I love my steb drive and live centers to rounding the stock and I have a couple different sizes to use for the different diamenter of stock. But, I heard so much about drilling on the lathe for accuracy and doing antler, etc that I think I want to try the collets.
Pat

If I change from dirlling my blanks on the drill press to drilling on the lathe what size and type of collet assembly do I need. I love my steb drive and live centers to rounding the stock and I have a couple different sizes to use for the different diamenter of stock. But, I heard so much about drilling on the lathe for accuracy and doing antler, etc that I think I want to try the collets.
Pat

Hey Pat,
I don't use a collet for drilling on the lathe... I have a little CMG3 chuck from PSI that has 4 little bars that will hold most any size blank... I drill my blanks square and turn around the hole... even deer antler... I put the antler between the drill bit in the tailstock and the jaws of my chuck, check to make sure I have a good straight shot along the length of the drill bit, then tighten the blanks in the chuck while watching the alignment. I marke the center of the blank, wood, acyrlic or antler and actually hold the center with the drill bit while I align everything...

As I said in previous post, I'm planning on buying a collet system for other things, but not for pens.

bgibb42

Thanks for the responses, folks. I think I need to add a little clarification. Rob is correct, I want the drive center to turn pen blanks round before using the collet chuck to drill and actually turn the blank. I was wondering about any difference in quality between the two, but I had not thought about having a smaller center to stay out of the way of the turning tools.

bitshird

Thanks for the responses, folks. I think I need to add a little clarification. Rob is correct, I want the drive center to turn pen blanks round before using the collet chuck to drill and actually turn the blank. I was wondering about any difference in quality between the two, but I had not thought about having a smaller center to stay out of the way of the turning tools.

I've knocked the corners off several carbide inserts just using the steb center that came with my lathe, it's about a inch and an eighth diameter, so I stop and leave around a eighth inc and sometimes less and cut it off with my band saw I also have one I made, that I can use on my metal lathe that's like the Sorby and is five eights diameter, I wish it would work in my Barracuda chuck, actually it might, I've never tried it.

jleiwig

After using the stock 4 prong center for a year, I just ordered the super drive center in 5/8" from PSI. I'll let you know what I think of it compared to the Sorby I checked out first at Woodcraft whenever it gets here.

Top Bottom