Difference in plastic polishes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Razorburne

Hey everyone...I am looking into starting to turn acrylic. I already have sandpaper and micro mesh for finishing and I am looking at using a plastic polish as a final step after micro mesh. Is there any difference in performance between different plastic polishes? I am looking at PSI One Step, Hut Plastic polish, and Craftics 20/20. Any info from those with experience would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I own and have used approximately 12 or more after asking the same question and experiencing dissatisfaction with almost all especially on dark acrylics. Try any of those that are recommended and the examine under lighted magnification. You will find the one that you like best. In fact I will send you samples of ten that you can try. Just pm me your address. Remember, polishes have their limits and there's also the point at which you and/or your customers are satisfied. Just let me know. I would love to know what you think.

magpens

I sand lengthwise with the lathe off to 2000 grit. . I use Novus 3 followed by Novus 2.
I don't use micromesh.

BTW ... Welcome to IAP !!! . If you write a short introduction about yourself in the Introductions forum you might win a prize !

Last edited:

Razorburne

Thank you for all the helpful replies everyone. Very much appreciated. @Tony- thanks for the offer for samples - I don't think I'm yet at that point but I may take you up on your generous offer for samples. When I'm ready I will PM you.

BKelley

I wet sand acrylics 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000 & 7000. After the 7000 I use
Simichrome Polish. Over the years I have found Simichrome to be my polish of choice.
It is a little more costly than others, but I think well worth it. Try it, I think you will like it too. It will also do a superb job on gold jewelry and silver tableware.

Ben

WriteON

I just started using 3M Finesse (car polish). Large container for around $12. Works great. Otherwise Novus3 step kit for me

Last edited:

farmer

micro mesh

Thank you for all the helpful replies everyone. Very much appreciated. @Tony- thanks for the offer for samples - I don't think I'm yet at that point but I may take you up on your generous offer for samples. When I'm ready I will PM you.

I used mcguair's car polishes that can be bought at my local auto parts store.

I really have no use for micro mesh......
I sand buff or polish everything out.
then use McGuiar's show glaze..

chartle

I use plastix (sp?) from the auto section of Wal-Mart.

There are a few plastic comparison threads here and it seemed like one was not significantly better than another.

TonyL

I wet sand acrylics 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000 & 7000. After the 7000 I use
Simichrome Polish. Over the years I have found Simichrome to be my polish of choice.
It is a little more costly than others, but I think well worth it. Try it, I think you will like it too. It will also do a superb job on gold jewelry and silver tableware.

Ben

I saw the Simichrome in action last night (thanks to Ben!) . I was pretty impressed with it. I will have to add it to my arsenal:biggrin:.

2shoes

Holy cow, Simichrome, have not thought about that product since the early 70ies when I used it on my Crager mag wheels. I might even still have a tube after 40 years.

Top Bottom