Difference between Woodchuck pen pro...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

Can anyone one offer an opinion on the difference between the Woodchuck Pen Pro tool and the Skogger/Rotondo tool. The Skogger and the Pen Pro tool appear to be very similar in design the only difference being price. A $40 difference. Any ideas.

rjwolfe3

I have the Woodchuck but not the Skogger so I really don't know. I think they both use carbide inserts. There are actually more out there then just those two but I believe that they are the only IAP members selling them.

KenV

Both vendors sell square and round version that are functional similar to the "Easy" line of commercial tools sold through most vendors. There are some subtle design differences in shapes and materials. There are others on the market too. Better carbide inserts in recent years has allowed these scrapers to be more common.

I have the "easy" and opted to go with Ken Ferrell's stainless steel version. It does work well and I have adapted it a bit to my style with small bevels on the lower edge.

These are fundimentally roughing tools, though they can be used to shear scrape.

I suggest 3/8 or 1/2 inch shanks so which ever you get will fit the interchangable handles - I am starting to like the interchangable handles more and more.

Top Bottom