Differances in Types of Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I have been casting blanks and bottle stoppers with Alumilite. I first tried the Amazing casting resin. It was graet for trying things out, but not for translucent blanks. I just tried the Crystal clear type. My question for those who use alumilite, is: What's the differance between crystal clear and clear? They appear to be equal in cost. The demold time is differant, but all else appears close.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Crystal clear is a new version of Alumilite water clear that Mike just came up with that uses a different, even safer catalyst. It was mainly created for fishing lure makers. I am currently doing some testing for Alumilite on a version of the Crystal Clear that looks promising for pen makers with potentially better polishing capabilities. There will be more information coming soon!

S

spiritwoodturner

Crystal clear is a new version of Alumilite water clear that Mike just came up with that uses a different, even safer catalyst. It was mainly created for fishing lure makers. I am currently doing some testing for Alumilite on a version of the Crystal Clear that looks promising for pen makers with potentially better polishing capabilities. There will be more information coming soon!

I can't wait to hear that any Alumilite can polish up as well as PR. That's the main thing that keeps me from trying it. I haven't poured it, but have turned and finished some Alumilite and it does not polish up as well as PR, in my experience.

Dale

ldb2000

Curtis , are there any other improvements to the new formula besides shine , one of my biggest gripes beside the shine is that I (me , myself ) don't like sanding the stuff . It seems to be very prone to melting during sanding , I know , I sand at too high a speed and use too much pressure , but I don't have the problem with PR .

Top Bottom