Did my first acrylic today...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

Never seen so many shavings in my life... Used a 3/4" oval skew, sharp enough to shave with. Easter basket grass... everywhere... big clumps of it, shavings 12" long. Stuck to everything (static) and I spent more of my time snatching handfuls of it off the spinning mandrel than I did actually turning. Very hard to see through it to what I was doing.

Is this normal operations with acrylic? Any tricks to seeing better, getting the shavings to release from the work on their own a little better?

I also see that shaping with sandpaper is probably not gonna work with acrylics. Have to use the skew down to a gnat's hiney, and not go to the paper until the finish, I guess. Sure does polish up nice with MM, though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
If you have that good work with a skew - you shouldn't really need sandpaper. I often go from skew to 1 grit of wet wed/dry paper, then into mm.

As for cleaning, up.... I am SOOO much happier once I got a dust system.. With it and the lathe hood (made by PSI, but I got mine at woodcraft).... Most of those shavings get sucked away instead of wrapping around the mandrel.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Monk,

I have heard that wiping down everything with a dryer sheet before starting with an acrylic blank will help with the static.

How about a real name? I can't help thinking about simian testicles everytime I see you post. ;)

M

monkeynutz

Tried the DC with wood turning, and didn't really see much benefit vs. the extra hardware around the cutting area, but wood shavings tend to go straight down for me, and out of the way. Maybe the acrylic shavings will get sucked in better, so thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

This cheapie Woodcraft blank turned out so nice for me, I can hardly wait to get hold of the custom ones I ordered from Karl!

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by wdcav1952

How about a real name? I can't help thinking about simian testicles everytime I see you post. ;)
It's legit. My grandpa always used to tell me I was crazier than a bag of monkey nuts... :D

The real name, though, if you prefer, is Rich.

stevebuk

hi Rich
totally agree with your observations regarding the acrylic, i watched the tutorial videos in the Library on this site before attempting mine, but as you say, i just couldn't believe how much stuff came off it.
how about a picture of it eh!:D

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by stevebuk

how about a picture of it eh!:D
Couldn't get the right kit at Woodcraft, so it's not assembled yet. Will put one up when it's done.

M

monkeynutz

OK, got a kit, so here it is...

20083316177_gpen1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it...

altaciii

Cool looking pen Rich. I am more a wood affectionado but have many clients that prefer the acrylics. LOML prefers the classy looking acrylics for herself also. I have a co worker from Florida and asked me to find his some gator colors. I picked this up from Ernie at btw. Saw yours and had to show mine er... his.

200841122120_gator%20swril.jpg

Pretty cool lookin stuff. Glad he liked it but Im still trying to get some TEXAS orange.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by monkeynutz

Originally posted by wdcav1952

It's legit. My grandpa always used to tell me I was crazier than a bag of monkey nuts... :D

The real name, though, if you prefer, is Rich.

LOL!! Rich, count yourself lucky to have known a grandfather. I never knew grandparents and consider that a loss.

Top Bottom