Did I buy the wrong decal paper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

Hi All,
Just tried to use Papilio white waterslide soft decal paper.PASZW8511G 4 mil thick
I ruined 3 decals attempting to apply to a pen blank and then gave up.I printed the same graphic on Papilio clear PAS48511 and had no problems with the first and only try.
Do I have the wrong product?

I also purchased Papilio PASN8511G 1.5 mil waterslide clear soft decal paper.
I now notice that it is a different number than my first purchase,which was the PAS48511 purchased via Ebay that I have no problems with.

My issue with the white is it torn/disinegrated almost immediately as I tried to apply it to a pen blank(acrylic).
I have used 1 sheet of the white from a 10 pack,have another unopened 10 pack and an unopened 10 pack of the clear.
Should I give Papilio a call and try to exchange/return the paper?Is it a learning curve?
I am not ruling out technique but I have had 100% success with the PAS48511 paper.

Had I known of the different part numbers(I learned when I started to compare the envelopes) I would have tried to order all the same style/thickness/softness??
I did intentionally order the white as well as the clear,so that aspect was not a surprise.

Carl Fisher

Agreed, the Testors has been proven and works well for our needs both in clear and white background. Just don't forget to apply the decal binder over the top or the ink will run.

bruce119

Maybe your technique. I used to make and do a LOT of water slide decals for trains. A flat surface but technique should be the same. If it is tearing when you apply a couple things come to mind. First maybe you didn't soak it enough and your trying to force it off the backing. Second you need to wet the surface a drop or 2 of water and the decal needs to be completely free of the backing (timing is important wait too long your decal floats away in your soaking cup try too soon and it will tare) Then take your decal and float it off the backing onto your surface. If it doesn't want to float another drop of water. Now my experience is based pretty much on flat surfaces. On a curve it mite be a little more challenging. But the basic idea is to float the decal off. Thicker decals would be easer more forgiving to work with but then you can see the edges. With the trains we wanted the thinest we could find. Defiantly a learning curve but I will say it again wet your surface make sure your decal is just at the point of releasing float it on if your surface is good and wet you should be able to move it a little into position then blot it using a Q-Tip carefully rolling out the water from under the decal from the center out.

Hope I gave some useful tips
Good luck

Top Bottom