Diamondback Blank Question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yost69

I am new to pen turning and have been a member here for a little bit and have learned alot. I would like to thank everyone for posting, it has helped me learn substantially.

I do have a question about snakeskin blanks.

I have recently ordered a couple blanks off of ebay. I got them and got a free prairie with it. They were being sold as seconds but I figured for $9.00 I couldn't go wrong. So I ordered two of them.

The free practice blank that came with it had enough for me to do a cartridge pen and it turned out spectacular. I turned it two or 3 days ago and already have it sold with a few requests for some more.

I turned the diamondbacks and they have white spots on them. I do not like the looks of them at all. I have looked around on the net at some diamondback pens and noticed alot of them have the same spots on them. Is this normal or is it because I got them off of ebay and need to order the more expensive ones? The prairie one doesn't have a white spot on it at all.

The reason I ask is because if this is normal for the diamondback I will not be ordering anymore as I don't like the way it looks. Do the prairies have this characteristic with them also and I just got lucky?

I have attached a picture for of one of the barrels I turned. It has a seam showing which I don't mind it at all as I can put the clip over it.

db.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Are the "white" spots actually more "silver", I would say they are air pockets where the scales did not adhere to the resin.

its_virgil

My opinion is you bought seconds and you got seconds. Those white spots are not normal...at least not in my opinion. I've seen the look before. Heck, I;ve even cast some that look like that. In fact I have a drawer full of them. Maybe Roy or the Princess will chime in with their opinion on this phenomenon.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am new to pen turning and have been a member here for a little bit and have learned alot. I would like to thank everyone for posting, it has helped me learn substantially.

I do have a question about snakeskin blanks.

I have recently ordered a couple blanks off of ebay. I got them and got a free prairie with it. They were being sold as seconds but I figured for $9.00 I couldn't go wrong. So I ordered two of them.

The free practice blank that came with it had enough for me to do a cartridge pen and it turned out spectacular. I turned it two or 3 days ago and already have it sold with a few requests for some more.

I turned the diamondbacks and they have white spots on them. I do not like the looks of them at all. I have looked around on the net at some diamondback pens and noticed alot of them have the same spots on them. Is this normal or is it because I got them off of ebay and need to order the more expensive ones? The prairie one doesn't have a white spot on it at all.

The reason I ask is because if this is normal for the diamondback I will not be ordering anymore as I don't like the way it looks. Do the prairies have this characteristic with them also and I just got lucky?

I have attached a picture for of one of the barrels I turned. It has a seam showing which I don't mind it at all as I can put the clip over it.

db.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Ben

its_virgil

Sometimes the spots are actually white...some type of crud on the skin and sometimes the spots are silver which I think is air. I have both in my "junk skin blank drawer."
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Are the "white" spots actually more "silver", I would say they are air pockets where the scales did not adhere to the resin.

OKLAHOMAN

" They were being sold as seconds but I figured for $9.00 I couldn't go wrong. So I ordered two of them."

You've answered your own question and you only wasted 9 bucks but you did get one good prairie blank. Don, I and the princess have all had this happen. The best I can offer is if you need some prairie blanks that are not seconds get in touch with Exotics or Don. The only blanks I have in stock are for the Jr. series and I wont be casting for a while as my spring shows have started...

OKLAHOMAN

As Don said crud and air, but once I stopped useing pressure
i haven't..............so far.......... had the siver air phenomenon....

yost69

I guess they are kinda silver. They are whitish clear.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am gonna get some better ones. I didn't want to spend alot as I read that they can be quite difficult to turn and didn't want to see alot of money fly all over the bench in peices, lol. I didn't have a problem with them so I will get better quality ones now.

Ben

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would definately check out exoticblanks.com or pm pr_princess here. She does a great job with snake blanks, and they are EASY to turn IMO. However, if you talk to her - I'm sure that she can help you with some much cheaper 'test' blanks that won't be snakes, but will be the same acrylic so you can practice turning her specific material before working on the more expensive snakes!

yost69

I looked at exotic and the only thing they have in stock is buttermilk racer blanks.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes them to restock?

I will pm pr_princess and see what I can come up with.

I also went to arizona and emailed them a couple questions but they were less then helpful. They answered one of the questions but that was it so I am moving on as they say.

Thanks

Ben

Nevermind. I just realized they are the same person. I will contact her and see what I can get.

Top Bottom