Diameter Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

If you had a round rod made of a plastic material that was perfectly sized within +-.005 tolerance, and were drilling on the lathe, what would be the smallest diameter rod you could get away with for a euro sized pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Euro in my desk has a centerband that is 0.550"

If you were perfect, the rod could be that same diameter, you would not have to "turn down" at the centerband.

jleiwig

The Euro in my desk has a centerband that is 0.550"

If you were perfect, the rod could be that same diameter, you would not have to "turn down" at the centerband.

So I'd be safe at 5/8 then. Although the price per foot is only .16 cents cheaper than the 3/4" stuff.

Thanks guys!

Daniel

Just a comment from personal experience. I am not saying you cannot or even that I woudl not try the 5/8" rod to end up with a pen slightly over 1/2" diameter. but,
I have found there to be an issue with drilling plastic and heat issues when the wall of the rob becomes to thin. basically the thinner the wall becomes the easier it is to actually melt or warp the plastic. If nothing else just keep this in mind as you drill. If it was not a huge cost outlay in the first place I would probably give the smaller stuff a try just to avoid the extra turning down of material later.

jleiwig

Just a comment from personal experience. I am not saying you cannot or even that I woudl not try the 5/8" rod to end up with a pen slightly over 1/2" diameter. but,
I have found there to be an issue with drilling plastic and heat issues when the wall of the rob becomes to thin. basically the thinner the wall becomes the easier it is to actually melt or warp the plastic. If nothing else just keep this in mind as you drill. If it was not a huge cost outlay in the first place I would probably give the smaller stuff a try just to avoid the extra turning down of material later.

Hadn't thought of that, but this plastic has a deformation temp of over 200 degrees. I'll keep it in mind though. Thanks.

Top Bottom