"Desire" component pen from LazerLinez

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corgicoupe

I want to use this post to review what I have found to be the best component kit that I have worked with. First, the components are stainless steel, rather than being plated, so there can be no "brassing". Second, I find that the finished pen feels lighter. I'm assuming that all the platings are over brass, and the density of brass is about 5% more than that of stainless steel. I also think that the Lazerlinez components are machined to a thinner wall thickness and there are fewer components, making the finished pen lighter.

I have also found that the LazerLinez bushings are superior to those of the other three kits that I have used. They are longer, they better fit the ID of the brass tubes, and they are chamfered for less wear on the live and dead centers. And finally, they are locally made. The only disadvantage is that you are limited to a single finish, but it suits my taste.

The two pens shown are turned from Amboyna Burl and Honduran Rosewood. The third, an incomplete body and cap is turned fro another Honduran Rosewood blank that has a distinctive pink hue. As you can see, the body is closed-end, and awaits the delivery of another component kit.

I don't like the idea of discarding components of a kit that will not be usable for another project, so I plan to ask Constant if it would be possible to buy select components, which whould allow for a great deal of creativity.

If you haven't tried a LazerLinez component kit, I urge you to do so. They cost about $5 more than, say, a Jr Gents II, but I believe they are worth the difference. (But then I make most of my pens to be given to friends and family, rather than to sell.) In addition to the Jr Gents II, I have mad Kojent, Navigator, Continental, and Anthony kits, and I prefer the LazerLinez.

Attachments

• LazerLinez pens 001cropS.jpg
    LazerLinez pens 001cropS.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 397
  • LazerLinez pens 003s.jpg
    LazerLinez pens 003s.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 350
  • LazerLinez pens 006s.jpg
    LazerLinez pens 006s.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 280
  • LazerLinez pens 008s.jpg
    LazerLinez pens 008s.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I agree, Constant makes some very nice kits. I haven't tried the new ones with the better threads yet, but look forward to doing so.

In the first photo, it looks like you have missed the cutout recess for the clip on both pens.

corgicoupe

Good eye, I rotated the clip after assembly so it would align with the nib when posted, but the finial didn't rotate. I'll fix that today. Thanks for noticing that.

Try the new one; the threads are smoother.

Last edited:

corgicoupe

New photos...Finials rotated so clip is in the cutout.

Attachments

• LazerLineZ fixed 001cs.jpg
    LazerLineZ fixed 001cs.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 233
  • LazerLineZ fixed 004s.jpg
    LazerLineZ fixed 004s.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 207
  • LazerLineZ fixed 006cs.jpg
    LazerLineZ fixed 006cs.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 185
  • LazerLineZ fixed 008s.jpg
    LazerLineZ fixed 008s.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 190

efrulla

I love the Desire pens. Would use them exclusively if Constance was not continually out of stock. Nothing bothers me more than to get an order and then have to decline it because the manufacturer does not have them. This is not a random thing. They are out of kits more often than they have kits.

I love the kits when I can get my hands on them. Nothing better in the market. You just can not get them and I am not the type that says well I just build pens when Constance gets around to making some.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the Desire pens. Would use them exclusively if Constance was not continually out of stock. Nothing bothers me more than to get an order and then have to decline it because the manufacturer does not have them. This is not a random thing. They are out of kits more often than they have kits.

I love the kits when I can get my hands on them. Nothing better in the market. You just can not get them and I am not the type that says well I just build pens when Constance gets around to making some.

I suspect he is making them continuously... high quality is often in high demand. Kits of less quality are more readily available if that is what you want. :confused:

efrulla

Mark: He does not. He makes pens when his CNC equipment in his shop is idle which is why they are available so sporadically. Furthermore I did not take kindly to your snide remark about lower quality being available if that is what I want. Thank you Captain Obvious for so kindly pointing that out. Completely flew by me.

Top Bottom