Designing custom pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheAcadian

What, if anything, do you use to design your pens, especially when you're customizing them for a customer?

For example, I have a client who wants a firefighter themed pen for her husband. I'd love to be able to take a few different pen kits into a program, change the barrel to show different woods/acrylics, and show what kinds of other things I can add to the pen to make it special.

is there an easy way to do this? I know PSI has a "design" tool on their website, but it's pretty limited.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Designing

What, if anything, do you use to design your pens, especially when you're customizing them for a customer?

For example, I have a client who wants a firefighter themed pen for her husband. I'd love to be able to take a few different pen kits into a program, change the barrel to show different woods/acrylics, and show what kinds of other things I can add to the pen to make it special.

is there an easy way to do this? I know PSI has a "design" tool on their website, but it's pretty limited.

I don't wish to be negative. hopefully educational .
A custom pen is a one of a kind pen... made with one of a kind parts or extremely rare parts or materials or special materials .
Like in your case a famous building that burnt down and you got a piece of the wood .or you machined parts of the pen out of salvaged materials from a fire the fireman fought .

The thought of a custom pen made with ordinary run of the mill massed produced production parts is taking the word custom and you designing a pen out of context .

If it was me I would be salvaging some wood and brass from a fire the fireman fought .

TheAcadian

A custom pen is a one of a kind pen... made with one of a kind parts or extremely rare parts or materials or special materials .
Like in your case a famous building that burnt down and you got a piece of the wood .or you machined parts of the pen out of salvaged materials from a fire the fireman fought .

The thought of a custom pen made with ordinary run of the mill massed produced production parts is taking the word custom and you designing a pen out of context .

If it was me I would be salvaging some wood and brass from a fire the fireman fought .

To be fair, I said customize. But that's what I'm getting at. Is there software that people use to design/mock up pen designs, either using kits or making a pen from scratch?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

PSI is the 800 pound gorilla in this industry--money is NOT a problem, so if they have a program written for their need (as they did), one might surmise it is as encompassing as was financially justifiable. So, it is unlikely you will find anything better. However, if you are a programmer with time on your hands--feel free to write the software, knowing that the penmaking public will be happy to USE it, but unlikely to PAY anything to use it. Therein lies the conundrum!!

FWIW,
Ed

jttheclockman

Well I am guessing you are just starting out on your journey in pen making. The reason I say this the thing between your ears is what is the best tool for customizing. If you have been turning pens for awhile you get to learn the different looks of different woods, plastics, metals and the combinations. No you can not know every wood or plastic or metal available and no program is going to do that for you. You get out what you put in. Now as far as kits go. PSI has all the latest gizmo pens you can think of and continue to add to the long list. Some people or vendors jump in on the trend and develop their own but they are few in between.

You have come to this site and you will find no better place to gather intel and see photos of past pens. This will help in your quest. No program is going to do this. Learn to use the valuable search features here. Yes there are 2 of them.

The use of watch parts. segmenting, casting, thread wrapping, and the list goes on can change a look and gear it to exactly what the customer wants but no there is no program for that. Unless you create one and good luck with that. You need to be able to listen to your customer and draw out what they are looking for. I have learned long time ago showing a customer too many ideas only cloudys the waters.

I do not want to sound that I am discouraging you or demeaning you but trying to point out my view on your question. Also to give you food for thought. Good luck. By the way the thin red line for fireman is the latest craze. Take off of the thin blue line for policeman.

Last edited:

farmer

Design

To be fair, I said customize. But that's what I'm getting at. Is there software that people use to design/mock up pen designs, either using kits or making a pen from scratch?

The impression I got was the wife wants something special for her husband ?

Here have at it CamBam CNC Software
You will need a CNC and Mach3 or Mach 4 software .

BeeAMaker

I think the OP is asking if there is a way he can put the pen together "on screen" so the customer can see what it might look like when completed - Not how specifically to "customize" the pen itself.

The short answer is no, But I would recommend downloading the free version of Fusion 360 from Autodesk. You will need to start from scratch but the more you do it the larger your Library of parts will become. It shouldn't be too hard to draw a barrel, then you simply give it different textures, wood grains, colors.

The nibs would be easy to duplicate also, and better yet - give you the ability to customize tips and end caps so they can be turned on a metal lathe or molded/cast.
You can give them different looks as well with different metals.

You can then export the CAD files in full render mode so it almost looks life like. Your client can then get a good idea what the pen will look like. But, if you only want to customize the wood blank, there is a firefighter pen out there.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...er+pen+kit&qpvt=Firefighter+pen+kit&FORM=IGRE

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I often design my new models for custom parts or complete pens in Rhino 3d. Fusion360 was not around when I got started and I dont know Fusions capabilities. After you draw it as a model then you can render it if you need to give it a completely finished look. It will depend on how realistic you actually need it to look.

Flush1974

Not to be disparaging here on my favorite forum, but I have found few people want to disrupt the status quo by using only what we have or build kitless pens. I and a few others have been trying to get new things started here with little luck. There are a few great people here (BeeAMaker is one of them!) that are excited about making custom pens or launching this industry to the next level.

Here is what I am working on:
1. 3D printing parts to design new types of blanks - Autodesk 360 (freeware) design software

2. Polly Alloys can make badass pen parts IN the USA. Custom Metal Injection Molded Parts and Components - PolyAlloys Injected Metals

3. 3D printing parts for either Cold Casting parts. I have had reasonable success with this but nothing I would put to market.

4. Lost Wax Casting. Once my Autodesk skills advance a little more I can CNC lost wax parts to cast pen kit parts.

CNC and 3D printers are getting so much cheaper for the hobbyist. The issue I'm running into is CAD/STL skills. I bought a book two days ago called Fusion 360 Operations Manual. This book has step by step tutorials to help you build items so you can learn the functions of the program.

Will anyone be able to compete with the 400lbs Gorilla, no, but that isn't really the point. The point is to be a Maker, create, push our hobby to new levels. Sure there are folks that just want to turn wood or other items, NOT a thing wrong with that at all. There are others who want to do more. For that, my hats off to you!

As far as firefighter pen kits:
Fireman's Ballpoint Pen Chrome w/Gunmetal: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Steve

Last edited:

TheAcadian

I think the OP is asking if there is a way he can put the pen together "on screen" so the customer can see what it might look like when completed - Not how specifically to "customize" the pen itself.

The short answer is no, But I would recommend downloading the free version of Fusion 360 from Autodesk. You will need to start from scratch but the more you do it the larger your Library of parts will become. It shouldn't be too hard to draw a barrel, then you simply give it different textures, wood grains, colors.

The nibs would be easy to duplicate also, and better yet - give you the ability to customize tips and end caps so they can be turned on a metal lathe or molded/cast.
You can give them different looks as well with different metals.

You can then export the CAD files in full render mode so it almost looks life like. Your client can then get a good idea what the pen will look like. But, if you only want to customize the wood blank, there is a firefighter pen out there.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...er+pen+kit&qpvt=Firefighter+pen+kit&FORM=IGRE

Thanks. You understood what I was going for. I'll give Fusion 360 a shot.

TheAcadian

Not to be disparaging here on my favorite forum, but I have found few people want to disrupt the status quo by using only what we have or build kitless pens. I and a few others have been trying to get new things started here with little luck. There are a few great people here (BeeAMaker is one of them!) that are excited about making custom pens or launching this industry to the next level.

Here is what I am working on:
1. 3D printing parts to design new types of blanks - Autodesk 360 (freeware) design software

2. Polly Alloys can make badass pen parts IN the USA. Custom Metal Injection Molded Parts and Components - PolyAlloys Injected Metals

3. 3D printing parts for either Cold Casting parts. I have had reasonable success with this but nothing I would put to market.

4. Lost Wax Casting. Once my Autodesk skills advance a little more I can CNC lost wax parts to cast pen kit parts.

CNC and 3D printers are getting so much cheaper for the hobbyist. The issue I'm running into is CAD/STL skills. I bought a book two days ago called Fusion 360 Operations Manual. This book has step by step tutorials to help you build items so you can learn the functions of the program.

Will anyone be able to compete with the 400lbs Gorilla, no, but that isn't really the point. The point is to be a Maker, create, push our hobby to new levels. Sure there are folks that just want to turn wood or other items, NOT a thing wrong with that at all. There are others who want to do more. For that, my hats off to you!

As far as firefighter pen kits:
Fireman's Ballpoint Pen Chrome w/Gunmetal: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Steve

Thanks for understanding. Not sure I want to get as deep as you into creating custom pens from scratch and using all the other available options, but I'm definitely up for pushing the boundaries when my skills get there! Kits are the way I"m going for now, but I definitely want to make my own kitless pens that are unique and push the limits someday.

As for that firefighter pen from Berea, I've seen it and it's a consideration. Just looking for other ideas too.

Top Bottom