Designer pen kit question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I bought a fairly expensive pre drilled pen blank. I was so excited about getting the blank, I didn't really pay attention to what type of pen it was formatted for. It's designed for a designer 7mm twist pen kit. I haven't made one of those yet, but it looks like they're the type where you have to trim off a small width from one end of the blank, in order for the overlap of the two blanks and the center piece to work. Are there are manufacturers who somehow have their kits designed so you don't have to do that risky part? I don't want to ruin a pricey blank trying to do this. I will certainly wait until I have a lot more experience before even attempting it, but even then, I'd like to have a kit where I'd know I don't have to do it at all! Thanks!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
go for it!
You have to learn sometime.
Take your time,measure the amount that is described by the manufacturers instructions.
Practice with your parting tool on a piece of wood between centers if you want.
Make sure your tools are sharp.
I normally part off after I finish, that way I don't "round"the edge.
You can do it. try!

Rifleman1776

Not risky. The bushings kit guides you to how far down you have to part for the center band to fit. I use a 1/4" parting tool. After the first one, that cut only requires seconds to do. To answer your question, yes, there is another similar kit that does not require that type of tenon cut. I think it is the Berea kit. Griz uses it, let him verify the accuracy of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom