Design help request- Wizard of Oz pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodyoureally

I got a request for 10 Wizard of Oz pens. Client was pretty open to ideas. I had considered doing a rollerball. Using yellow acrylic for the lower section in a segmented brick pattern and an emerald green blank for the cap. Would be a more abstract Wizard of Oz pen.

Also considering doing decals of the characters on a Sierra style but then run into the issue of copyrights.

Anyone have any input or ideas?

Thank you in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Hi Derek - Here's a pen I posted a couple of years ago that I called Ruby Red Slippers. It's just polyester jewels (a type of glitter) cast in PR. It was pretty popular

View in Gallery

The polyester jewels can be a pain in the backside to work with. Unless you are really into glitter and like it everywhere!. A couple years later and my shop still sparkles......

Ed

Joe S.

Are we talking movie or book series? If we can pull themes from the books it could turn up some interesting designs.

Notscottish

You could do a segmented pen of yellowwood and a contrasting filler that would look like yellow bricks.

Joe S.

Ambitious idea: Do a complex segmenting and casting project that would incorporate riveted aluminum foil (tin man), straw/tattered fabric (scarecrow), red glitter (Dorthy's slippers), and... I don't know, fur or something for the lion.

Charlie_W

Had you thought about painting the scene on the tube and casting in clear resin? ...or painting in a wood blank and adding a CA finish?
Does the client want a segmented pen or just something with this theme?...might make a big difference!..what type of material would the client prefer?
Then you could narrow your planning process to find the right fit for the customer and also a plan in which you can work with.

woodyoureally

I showed them Ed's "Ruby Slippers" pen. A mock up of the "Emerald City" pen I did with Penn State's Create A Pen tool. A Yellow Brick Rd pen mock up I made in MSPaint. And an idea for using Wizard of Oz stamps under CA.

Client loved the Yellow Brick Road pen. So that is my mission!

Top Bottom