Desert Ironwood color (PIC added)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Which color is best/ideal?

I managed to score some DI from Mexico and noticed that the color varies from cream to almost black. Some have cream, orange, red, brown, black, etc. and any combination of these colors. A few almost look like bocote or cocobolo.

I had a few that are almost pure black (with a little tinge of red if you know what I mean) those I am planning on keeping :D

Again, given the choice, what color do you (personally) prefer?

200642633841_P1010753a.jpg

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't think ironwood sounds like a very good dessert. [:p] But I'd love to at least see some desert ironwood with red. I bet it's gorgeous. [8D]

chigdon

Gold with some veins of black! Basically something that looks like really good cocobolo but it will have much more depth and chatoyancy. Of course this is my personal opinion.

Ron Mc

I was able to get some Mexican DI a while back and the best finished blanks where the ones that had the most orange and red in them.
If you have any that you would consider selling let me know. I'm out of Mexican DI at the moment.[;)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
If you find any with a "Copper" coloring, cut it at an angle to the grain and keep it for yourself. This is the hardest coloring to find, and the prettiest (my opinion).

Dario

Thanks Russ, I think all the suggested color fall close to each other. I think/hope I know now what to look for. Copper, if I am not mistaken is close to golden-yellow with tinge of red and I think I have some of it.

What I found out is that it takes so little angle to show the grain on DI because of the tight grain. The blanks are pre-cut...maybe I should trim the blanks to an angle before drilling...since a lot of them are 7/8" - 1" (or shim during drilling).

airrat

I know someone that is wanting to part with some Desert Ironwood from their backyard. What is a good price for it? Just average I have not seen the wood yet and with my back injury it might be a little bit.

Dario

Tom,

It will all depend on the wood. How solid it is, figure, color, etc. For me, I am willing to pay double for highly figured piece...triple or even more for burl so it really depends on what they have.

A good starting point is what Reed have been posting. His is $5.00 a pound but note that those are in block form. Factor in your waste. I personally find that cheap and if I haven't scored some just recently, would have purchased some from him myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom