Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I've seen the comments about how bad antler smells when it is turned, but it doesn't compare to desert ironwood. I turn in a garage with the door open, but even so, just drilling the blanks brought my wife to the shop. Turning it today wasn't any better. The closest thing I can compare the smell to is chicken s... manure. The dust also seems to be an irritant.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

strange,

i turned some desert ironwood last nite and didn't notice any smell.
i have also tried antler and smell wasnt that bad.

as far as chicken s#$t smell goes, nothing i have turned smells that bad. i used to sack it for a fert. company. boy did it stink in the winter time.

reed43

Be sure to use a dust mask or have shop vac pulling the dust away when you turn. The dust is bad news.It smells real bad when lazer ingraving. The dust is usually very fine. Bad on lungs.

PMisiaszek

I also turned a desert ironwood pen a couple of weeks ago, and that one didn't smell bad. I can't explain this one, but it sure was bad. I'd rather clean the litterbox than turn another one like that.

Ron Mc

I've turned a lot of DI and I have found that depending on where it came from it has a pretty bad smell. The DI I get out of Mexico is the worst but the most beautiful. Well worth putting up with the smell.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />strange,

Leatherjunkie, are your sinuses plugged?

Every piece of desert ironwood that I've ever turned or drilled has smelled just like pig poop on a hot summer day.

thetalbott4

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!! I've turned many DI blanks with no odor and then there came the day. I grew up on a farm and the first thing I said was,"it smells like pig crap". A relative came over and I asked what it smelled like and she said pig crap. Glad to know it wasnt just my imagination. Man, did that thing stink!

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />
Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />strange,

Leatherjunkie, are your sinuses plugged?

Every piece of desert ironwood that I've ever turned or drilled has smelled just like pig poop on a hot summer day.

I got the desert ironwood from arizona sil. it turned real easy.
mabey if i wasn't smoking while turning i would notice the smell.
i know its not a good idea to smoke while turning. i only smoke while using the big gouge not while sanding.

guts

Hey,come on now chicken poop ain't all that bad,just cleaned out the coop today,ever burned the barrels in nam?now that stinks!!!

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by guts
<br />Hey,come on now chicken poop ain't all that bad,just cleaned out the coop today,ever burned the barrels in nam?now that stinks!!!

I'm too young for nam. but i did burn the barrels over in Egypt back in October of '96
Was in Egypt for 2 months. We were doing training with the Egyptian military.

wayneis

I've got some DIW burl that the smells worse than anything that I've ever worked with. In fact my wife made me change clothes before she would let me in the house after I turned a pen.

Wayne

Joe Melton

Nothing irritates my nasal passages like DI. In fact, it actually causes a burning sensation, and I cough later as a result. Since I started using a respirator, the problem is in the past.
Walnut is another bad irritant, but not nearly as bad (to me) as DI.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom