Desart Ironwood...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

Well I started turning it and Holly Cow is it hard, I had to sharpen my skew like 5 times and it is no where near done. I figured it was time to sharpen when it caught and took a nice little chunk broke out, thankfully not too bad. I had a full face shield on to turn it and it still stunk lol. I also wanted to know if anyone has ever got a rash from turning it? I have, what my wife says is a rash, on my cheeks and on the back of my hands and wrists. Nothing bad just some redness and kinda itchy. I can not say 100% that it came from the DI I turned and put together 5 (five) other pens today, some Cocobolo, Purpleheart, Koa, Wenge (spelling), and another wood that looks and feels like Cocobolo but I do not know for sure I ask Cav one time and he said it was some kind of Rosewood he thought but wasn't sure what exactly what it was. I am doing all these pens because my niece's house burnt down a little over a week ago, she was renting and had no renters insurance, and I just found out Wednesday that they are having a Chinese Auction for her on Sunday so I want to make about 10 (ten) pens to put in that in the cheap plastic Pen cases from CSUSA, I am going to put up a small sign to see me if won so I can explain the pens to whomever wins and it may possible get me some orders too. Thank God that her and her girlfriend got out of the house it started at like 330-400 am. So if you all could do me the favor and keep them in your prayers. Thank you all as always Len

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Len, sounds like you've got a nice piece of DI. It is worth the trouble.

About the rash, Wenge is known to cause skin irritation. The splinters can cause infection, too. But I think there are more people around here allergic to Cocobolo. It is one known to cause allergy reactions for many. I haven't heard of anyone allergic to DI.

I'll be thinking of all you for your daughter's auction thing. Hope all goes well.

Len Shreck

Cathy Sue,
From what I have seen in the blank, while I was turning it, it looks like it is going to make an awesome pen. The major problem I am having is keeping my skew sharp, I dont know if I am not getting it sharp enough or if it is that the DI is just that hard on it. The set I have I got from Grizzly I got 5 pieces a 3/4" roughing gouge, a 1" skew, a 3/4" scrapper (I think it's 3/4") and some smaller spindle gouges in a very nice aluminum case for I think 55.00, so it just may be that I have cheaper tools and they just dull quickly on something as hard as DI. Does anyone else think this may be part of the problem? Thanks Len

Manny

You shouldn't have to sharpen that much in my opinion. Up until recently I was using the harbor freight carbon steel tools that I bought 10 years ago. Turned several DIW pens without having to sharpen multiple times. How fast is the lathe running?

And yes I have heard Cocobolo and Rosewood causing rashes. Something about them being in the poison ivy family. But don't know for sure

Manny

Len Shreck

I have my lathe set at 2650 rpm that's what I do all my turning at. I dont ever remember checking or asking what speed is good for turning. I know for finishing it is better to do it at a lower speed. I just leave it at that instead of moving the belt around to just do a finish, I have never been told that my finishes look bad they all have turned out good. So I guess I will ask, What is a good speed to turn at? Is there a difference for the different woods? Or for Acrylics? Or Truestone just in case I win the lottery or something that I can afford the Acrylics and Truestone blanks:biggrin::wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are using the skew in the horizontal (scraper-like) orientation, it will require sharpening often. But, if you like using it that way, it will be successful, just slow.

scotian12

Len...I don't turn cocobolo any more because it caused a rash on my eyelids and between my fingers. It was ok in the beginning but after a couple of years I became allergic to it. Just give it up there are other beautiful woods to turn. Always use a respirator mask so it does not get in your air passages. Darrell Eisner

cbonner

What everyone else said... and have plenty of sandpaper. It clogs the paper very quickly. Not much in the way of pores to fill, which is nice. I have done a few pens in high end DI Burl and painstaking finished in CA followed by lacquer. Definately a hard wood to work with... but when it's all said and done wholy smokes!

PaulSF

Well I made the attempt at turning the DI blank and these were the results.... I also took a couple pics of the modifications I made on my lathe stand they are here also...

Lucky I saw this thread earlier today, because I just blew off a chunk of brown mallee burl I was turning. Let's hope the fix works!

Len Shreck

I am still in the learning process, IMHO, when I use my skew I use it at an angle and also sometimes I lay it flat on the tool rest for final touch-ups mainly. So far as I said I pretty much do everything with the lathe at the same speed 1 (one) step below as fast at it will turn. Unfortunately I don't have a respirator mask, I dont even have paper masks anymore I am out of them. I usually have a cigarette hanging out of my mouth when I am turning too, yes I have made some major UTT-OHH's from getting smoke in my eyes..lol and my wife keeps yelling at me that I am going to hurt myself sometime but for now thats the way I do it a lot of the time. I do want to get a respirator mask eventually but right now I just cant afford it. I don't even have a DC system yet, another item thats on my wish list, maybe someday. Thanks again all for the info and PLEASE keep it coming I am learning from it.:biggrin::biggrin:

ldb2000

Len , you say you have a cig hanging out of your mouth while turning , are you wearing a face shield ? If your not your wife is right !!! .
Get a face shield and use it every time you turn on your lathe . Your eyesight is something that you do NOT want to loose . Safety glasses are better then nothing but nowhere as safe as a full face shield . I have had blanks catastrophically self destruct and if I wasn't wearing my face shield I know for a fact I would have spent time in the ER .
Remember "If you can't see , you can't turn" !!!

Len Shreck

I wear safety glasses some times I have only put the face shield on when I was turning DI because I knew how hard it was and figured it something happened it would more or less shatter. I do not practice a lot of safety when I'm turning so far. That is why my wife is always yelling at me. I know I need to be safer while turning.

Daniel

Safety glasses will protect your eyes. but I have been hit in the cheeks and forehead far more often than I have noticed anything bouncing off my glasses. I have had pieces even draw blood a couple of times. Nothing that is going to kill me but still it is just as easy to stick on a face shield and not have to put up with it. I have a scratch on my nose right now that I have no idea where it came from. most likely from turning something and I didn't even notice that I got tagged.
As for the rash, My first suspect would be the Cocobolo. If so i highly suggest you avoid it altogether. the reaction to Cocobolo is accumulative and will get worse with further exposure.

Top Bottom